How do I get my 3 yr old son to listen? It seems like he'll tell me no even to something he likes just to be defient!

Nikkiw1614

Asked by Nikkiw1614 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 3 also, and she does the same thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly getting on to her, but I think she's just trying to push my buttons to see what she can get away with. We never went through terrible 2's, it's more like the terrible 3's! I'm glad you posted this question, and I hope someone can reply with a good answer, because I'm in the same boat. Sorry I couldn't help.....
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It is normal. Call him on his bluff and don't give him what he wants, he'll think twice next time about saying "no". They are testing your boundaries and they really want to know how far they can push you. They key is to be consistent with your responses and don't be a pushover or they'll keep pushing. Noone is perfect, but try to be as consistent as possible with consequences for negative behavior and rewards for positive ones. Just think of it as the behavior game and it won't get too serious. Its almost like acting. You aren't really as serious or mean as you have to sound, but you have to play the serious Mom so they understand who's in charge around here.
    Anonymous