Pet for a 5 yr old?

My so nis turning 5 on Saturday. He keeps asking for a pet of his very own :) LOL

We have a cat and a dog, both of which he is very good to, but he has been asking for his own pet for a few months now.

What kind of pet would you recommend and why?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• somethign that lives in a tank and requires little care - maybe fish, hermit crabs, or a small turtle. It wil help him develop responsibility - but you dont want something that you wil have to take care of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The only thing I'm worried about with a tank is our 2yo getting into it and trying to feed the pet! LOL
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• William has fish and although I clean the tank he has to feed them everyday. We have guppies and they have had babies and he loves watching for babies and then seeing them grow.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I watch the TLC show Jon and Kate plus eight, they gave their little kids hermit crabs as pets. I think that would be a good start for him to learn that this is his own thing he has to care for. As far as the two year old goes, put the tank up on the dresser or somewhere that your son can see btu its too high for the little one to get too. Good luck!!
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My 5 year old has a fish and hermit crabs...both are great pets!
    tuttiepiemomma

Answer by tuttiepiemomma at 7:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My 5 year old has a fish as a pet..japanese fighter fish are good pets because you opnyl need to feed tehm once a week..they require very little care except changing and conditioning the water
    RaulitosMommy

Answer by RaulitosMommy at 2:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We have a cat and last year for my son's b-day (he just turned 6) he asked for a snake. That's all he asked for so we got him one. He does help feed him and clean his tank and all.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 11:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Turtle!
    Anonymous

• fish require too much care...I know it sounds crazy but maybe a pet rat...a friend of mine has one and theyreally are easy to take care of, they're fun and their life span is about 2 years so when he gets bored with it, it dies
    AbbysAunt1

Answer by AbbysAunt1 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008