Breast feeding ..

I'm going to try to breast feed with this baby ... I know that I want an electric pump but unsure of the brand. I've heard a lot about Avent (like from Walmart) or Medela (at Babies R Us) .. which did you use/prefer? Easier to use? Thanks!

sgt.youngs.wife

Asked by sgt.youngs.wife at 7:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used a medla. However, I have heard both are great. I would suggest getting an electric and a manual pump. I found that sometimes a manual was much more gentle when I had sore nipples.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had a medela and I really liked it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The more research and "reviews" I've read ..I'm thinking a LOT of people prefer the Medela and it's cheaper at Target then it is Babies R Us
    sgt.youngs.wife

Comment by sgt.youngs.wife (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• NONE of them worked for me. I ended up with 4 different pumps from 4 different companies and none worked. But if you qualify for WIC, you should be able to get a Medela Pump for nothing - I know I did... If it works for you and you can get it free, go for it... I would try that before you pay for any of them. But for me, none of them worked, I couldn't even do it by hand... I've talked to lactation consultants and even had one come to the home because I figured I was doing something wrong, but apparently it wasn't me, cause they couldn't help either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• can you borrow a Pump from the WIC office before you buy? The hospital grade ones are the best but unless you are pumping to go back to work, you probably do not need one.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I've heard the medela is the best, my cousin had one that was a hand pump, and said it was amazing. Cut pumping time in half, I've always used the Avent hand pump, which is also very efficient. Not a fan of electric.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 11:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the WIDE bottles. The traditional nipples will sabotage your breast feeding efforts, and go slow flow. ( Extended breast fed both my babies)
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I used a Medela hand pump (Harmony), and I had tried some of the mechanical pumps from WIC, and they all hurt, but the cups on the Medela line are really nice. They didn't rub in any weird ways, which was great. Plus, I could use that while I nursed to build up freezer stash. You'll find that you can pump more with Baby on one side, and pump on the other (there's a hormone release that you get when the baby nurses, and you don't get that when you pump alone).
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Medela Pump In Style pumps.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have a Medela Pump In Style. I LOVE IT! I paid about 300 dollars for it at Babies-R-Us. You can rent pumps from lactation consults and breastpump stores. They rent the motor to you and you buy the plastic pieces (the parts that actually touch the breastmilk).

**I also want to point out that nothing is FREE....just because you get it from WIC for "free" doesn't mean that someone else didn't have to pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Manual pumps are way easier i think.The electric ones hurt sometimes.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2010