My 16 month old is still not walking, should I be concerned?

I have taken her to the doctor and I work with her all the time but she has only taken five steps by herself.

jdinscore

Asked by jdinscore at 7:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's taking steps then thats a good sign. I think she should be walking a little though. What did your doctor say?
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It's a good sign that she's taking steps. If she's walking along furniture that's another good sign. It's scary to get up and walk, because it's a brand new thing to them that requires balance and concentration. So give her time. She'll get it when she's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My 3rd did not walk til 16-17 mo. I would not worry yet but if he still doesnt in the next few months talk to the doc. If he is pulling to a stand and cruising you should be fine and itshould come soon. Try making him work for toys and not giving him everything...if you are giving him a lot of thigs....make him work for it!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If she's starting to take steps, I'm willing to bet she'll be walking in no time. A couple of weeks ago my 13 month old slowly started taking a step here and there...and now he's walking all over the place. Regardless, lots of babies don't walk until they're 17 or 18 months.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010