Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how can i get my youngest back in special ed ive benn trying for 3 years

Answer Question

Asked by dakotachrismom at 7:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 9 (293 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • If you request that your child be tested, they have to test within 30 school days.

    Answer by layh41407 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • Go to the school counselor, if school is not cooperating go over their head to the school board.

    Answer by mamahol at 7:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • He has to qualify. Does he have an IEP, has he been diagnosed with a learning disability??


    Answer by skittles1108 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • Put a request in writing to have your child retested. Keep a copy for yourself. They have to schedule the testing within 30 school days. Make sure you date that request.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • Request a meeting with the teacher and guidance counselor. Depending on where you live you may be able to request testing in writing to expedite it. If the RTI process is in place where you live it's not as simple as just having the child tested. RTI takes months, but it very thoroughly evaluates the child's performance while giving them the extra help they need at the same time. You can request they place him in RTI.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 4:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • he has a 504 plan he has bi-polar

    Comment by dakotachrismom (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • If he has a 504 plan he can get almost the same protection and services as he would with an IEP. What exactly do you want the IEP for?


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • cause he is having trouble n the class size he is in she has 17 other kids not including him

    Comment by dakotachrismom (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Ask for a 504 meeting and see if he can receive resource help just based on the 504. He doesn't have to have a IEP to be put in a smaller setting or get help in the classroom, that can be put in his 504 plan. That said, self contained ESE classes are starting to more or less disappear. For years kids have been pulled out of regular classes only to fall farther and farther behind. It seems like the small class would be better, but with kids of different levels and disabilities sometimes they end up getting less help than they do in a gen ed class. Your best bet is to see if he can support in the class. Someone to come to the regular class and help him. That's not always an option, but it is a great situation if it can be arranged.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • talk to teh school adjustment counselor and the teacher. they put in a request and meet with you. i would fight and get help. be persisitent. get on good terms with teacher, counselor and they have your back :P good luck

    Answer by stargazer74 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.