laptop

my 11 yr old daughte wants a laptop for christmas.... is that a good or bad idea?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am against kids being on computers where a parent can not monitor them. If the laptop will be used only in a general living area where it can be monitored by a parent, then I see no problem with it. However, if you are planning on letting her use it in her room or other private areas where you can not monitor what she is doing, I personally have an issue with that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster..also, at 11, make sure she appreciates it and can take care of it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• At age 11? No.
    I did get one for my son when he turned 16 but at 11? Monitoring would be one issue, having too much too soon would be another, lack of appreciation and lack of due dilligence in caring for possessions would be an issue as well.
    Additionally, think of it this way - if you're already gifting computers at 11, what do you do at 12? 13? 15? 16? 18?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I find that my 12 year old is not responsible enough to have her own computer. Not to say that yours is not, but to me that's a little young to have such an expensive piece of equipment. I don't think they are old enough to understand the value of something like that. I do allow my children to get on my computer but I do monitor what they are doing and I have parental controls set. If you do decide to get your child one, have it where they can be monitored. Of course, you are the only one that knows the responsibility level of your child and every child of different, but either way keep track of what they do while on it just to be on the safe side.
    lorig2010

Answer by lorig2010 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• As fast as technology becomes outdated, are you prepared to purchase yet another computer when she's in high school - when she'll really need one? I really think 11 is too young and it's highly unlikely that she'll be able to use it for long even if by some chance it was treated well and used properly.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 10:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Bad idea. My 11 year old daughter wants one too. No way no how. She uses a desk top that is in the office area of our apartment, where I can monitor her and it will stay that.
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 10:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a laptop and I allow my 6yo dd to use it. But I created her own profile on the computer, I'm the administrator. So I put parental controls on it: Time restrictions (ie school time, dinner time, bed time), No downloads, and Restricted web access. She thinks she can do whatever she wants and I feel safe knowing she can. I wouldn't get her a new computer though, if anything I'd give her my laptop which already has it all set up then get myself a good computer. By the time she needs a good one, my laptop will be crap anyway.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It depends on the maturity level of the child in question. I had no problem with my son having one when he was that age, but he was good about not going on sites he shouldn't and I put all kinds of parental controls on the laptop. There is software that can be installed so you can see what your child does on the computer, EVERY keystroke, website, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Our DD bought her own laptop soon after her 12th bd. We have one rule - it MUST be used ONLY when we are around. So far so good.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Why on earth would a child need their own personal laptop?

I got my first laptop at age 15. It was an old, used one from the company my mom worked for, and I was not allowed to use internet on it. I used it purely for my writing, which was (and still is) my biggest passion.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010