Any ideas why a 6 year old cat would suddenly start having bowl movements in the livign room?

He never had accidnets when he was a kitten, when he had my daughter, or when we got new pets... But he has repeatedly soiled on the carpet over the weekend. He has 2 litter boxes - both are cleaned daily and there havent been any changes in the hosuehold for many months. I just dont get it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pets

• some sort of parasite or intestinal infection
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My sisters' cat started to do this all of the sudden and he had a kidney or liver problem (can't remember which). They have him on special food now to control it. Sudden changes in a cat's 'bathroom' activities is usually a sign of an illness- I would take him to the vet just to be safe. GOOD LUCK!
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 12:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• you said you have had no new changes in the household... but are you by chance leaving your cat alone more offen now??? anytime a cat retalliates it is because of sudden changes, like moving a litter pan or changing the kind of litter you use... or stress, like a new pet or person,... or sudden lonelyness, like longer work hours or a change in time that you work....any different changes in a cat's "normal schedual" they will let you know about it... believe me I have 3!!
    be a little patient and good luck.
    jmgallas

Answer by jmgallas at 12:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Do you have a blanket, pillow, or jacket filled with down? My cat started peeing on my bed and i couldn't figure it out. I finally put 2 and 2 together when he started to pee on my jacket that was filled with down (just like my new comforter and 2 pillows were) Also, he may have a kitty bladder infection. Bring him to the vet if it doesn't let up.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• that happend to my cat, she had several intestinal tumors that caused her to have lack of control, but she was 15 years old, urs is only 6, it could be parasites
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 6:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Animals become fecal incontenent for many reasons...is he the only cat in the house...is he just dropping fecal matter or actually squatting??? If he is just dropping fecal matter there are medicines out there to help them...if he's squatting then you need to see a vet...
    AbbysAunt1

Answer by AbbysAunt1 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008