Any ideas for inexpensive reception food?

I'm on a SUPER-tight budget for my vow renewal. We are expecting b/w 55-60 people. I don't want to ask family to make anything, but I am more than happy to make stuff for the reception. Can you ladies give me a few ideas for some inexpensive food for the reception? The ceremony will be @ 2, so the reception will start around 3.

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• make it potluck...tell the guests to bring dishes.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• MEAT BALLS! You can do tons and tons in a crock pot! There are tons of recipies. you can even buy frozen then just add sauce! My fav is like a sweet and sour sauce but you could do any! Even then Have rice or pasta to go with them which are both cheap and easy for huge amounts!
    SaraNRiley

Answer by SaraNRiley at 11:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Rigatoni is cheap easy and everyone likes it!! If you have a GFS near you, they have a lot of reasonably priced prepared food and it's good!! http://www.gfs.com/
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I went to a really fun reception where they had mexican food! ground beef and all the chopped toppings. It was all laid out with cute baskets, I thought it was great. Personally when I am cooking for lots of people, I love to make stuffed shells.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my cousin actually had a BBQ. Hamburgers, hot dogs, and potato salad! They are a little country though lol...
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ rigatoni (lasagna) maybe w/ salad and rolls/butter. Also, Walmart has really good boxed chicken w/ either potato or macaroni salad. We've had it for several occasions(birthday parties, card nights w/friends) and it's not real expensive but very good. Baked beans w/ brown sugar are pretty cheap and easy to make in large amounts and go great w/ chicken! GL and let us know how things went!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Since it's between lunch and dinner, you really only need some finger food snacks.
    Costco sells frozen mini quiches that are really good, and you can make you own food too. I would probably do stuffed mushrooms, ham and cheese rollups, fruit kabobs, veggie trays, and crackers with homemade cheese and/or salmon balls.
    Find a fun cookbook, usually the older the better, and experiment with some appetizers.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Any kind of pasta dish especially baked ziti will be inexpensive and filling...any kind of finger foods, fruit/cheese platters and something my mom used to do...order colored bread from a bakery, ask them to slice long ways and then roll slices out and use cream cheese and jam spreads, roll slices and then slice into tiny little finger sandwiches. You can use tuna, ham & cheese and other stuffings. This will make multiples of finger foods.

Good luck and hope my suggestions help!
    wolfiegiggles

Answer by wolfiegiggles at 4:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• idk about where you live but here at our local lucky's/albertsons/savemart/safeway grocery you can get 50 pieces of fried chicken ,two 2 pound sides (macaroni or potato salad) and sweet rolls for $30 dollars so for $60 bucks you get 100 pieces of chicken and 8 lbsof salad..also try artichoke dip, 7 layer bean dip, sourdough bread, chips and dip always work
    RaulitosMommy

Answer by RaulitosMommy at 2:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• we did the lunchmeat, pasta salad, potatoe salad thing for my daughter's reception. cheap, simple and easy
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008