Do you wear a mask for your friends and family?

Do you pretend to be something they approve of to keep them visiting?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• i did for a very long time...i was miserable, depressed, and suicidal...then one day, i had enough. i picked up my purse and walked out of my home. i never even considered going back. my divorce was final 2 months later and i found the love of my life shortly after that. my parents rejected him from the beginning and even tried to keep my son from me (they have guardianship that was transferred to them when i was a teen for insurance purposes) all because my SO is black. i never backed down though. i had made a decision to be true to myself and vowed to never live my life according to how others wanted me to again. itms been rough getting here and i still have a way to go until everything is how i want it to be...i still struggle with depression, but i love my children (including our new beautiful baby boy) and my SO too much to ever consider taking my life like i did before. i love myself now.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Not usually. I mean, if i am having a bad day, I may pretend that everything is fine. Most of the time, I am just me. Take me or leave me, love me or hate me.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Nope.. I can not say that is anything I have ever done.

Living hinding behind a mask would be a miserable experience for me. I would be incredibly unhappy if I had to pretend to be something that I wasn't. Even if it were for brief periods of time. Being something other than myself I think, would kill a little piece of "me"..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• nope, if they don't like me for who I am, then they don't need to be in my life.
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 8:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• HaHa... Nope, I'm always a bitch, if they don't like it, they know where the door is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Absolutely not. I am myself. My family and friends know my authentic self. And if my "friends" don't like it, they are always welcomed to find a new friend.
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The answer to the question would have to be no.. With me what you see is what you get. The way I see it what's the point sooner or later your true colors will come out..
    Marling

Answer by Marling at 10:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I pretend to be happy most of the time so that they don't worry
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• sad enough to say i do with my in-laws. my husband's father don't really approve of the fact that i'm in to tattoos, piercings and that i dress and act differently than they do...... putting on a "mask" keeps my husband from having to be lectured about how i am and how he needs to "correct my problems"....
    SapphireRose85

Answer by SapphireRose85 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• No if they can't accept me for who I am then they need not be around me anyway.
    dirtyswifey10

Answer by dirtyswifey10 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2010