Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do I trace my ethnic history?

Answer Question

Asked by TammyHayes771 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • good question.when you find out tell me.

    Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • There are many other resources, but that's a good place to start.


    Answer by earlgrey at 9:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • If you want to have it genetically determined because you don't know who your parents/grandparents/etc are, there are places that offer it online. For most of them, a you need a male blood relative to take the test - brother, father, male cousin from your father's side of the family born to his brother. There's one kind they can do that traces your maternal DNA, and that only traces your mother's side, but you can give the sample yourself. From the results, they can tell you which genetic markers you have in terms of haplo groups - which are large genetic markers specific to different regions of the planet at different times in history.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 10:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • Go online and research getting your mitochondrial DNA tested. I think you can get a kit through the mail. That traces it back really far.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • I googled Mitochondrial DNA testing and lots came up. Yes, you can order testing kits. They cost, over $100, but if it's what you want, you can get it done.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • I was indexing some census reports and some of them have a spot for declaring ethnicity. You'd have to have an ancestors name to go with and it would be helpful to know what state.  At least that's free.


    Answer by Jambo4 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Do the results stand valid enough to prove indian heritage?

    Answer by thelowlander at 2:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • I recently saw a documentary on tv about this. They had people get the test from different companies. There was a lot of different results given. The conclusion was that It's not yet very accurate, whether paying $100 or $1000, but that it is expected to be more accurate within the next 10 years or so. I would love to have this done, but after seeing this, I will wait awhile. My family on both mom and dad's side have records back to 1600's, but you know, there were often things that weren't recorded, like if someone married into a different ethnic or racial group. So it would be interesting to find out.

    Answer by SweetLuci at 9:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • I would hire a genealogist. They will do all the research for you for a fee.

    BUT if you want to do it alone, first try tracing online through or like sites. It will recommend possible links to relatives that my help you research further. Also start by asking family to trace back as far as they can (who are their parents, or their parents parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.). I know with my daughter it's nearly impossible because her father doesn't even know some of his grandparents. So going past that I really can't research further without hiring someone to do the trace themselves or paying money to do the research myself (it's sometimes cheaper to just hire someone who has the resources though)

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • be aware that it may not be 100% accurate, because most paper trails will list what the person listed, so if the mother lied about paternity... you'll end up with inaccurate results.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.