What's the best dog for children?

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 9:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pets

• This little dog here in my pic is perfect. A yorkie is small and friendly.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We got him over the summer, and he love my kids, not a mean dog either.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Golden retrievers are known to be very gentle and good with children. If you're looking for something smaller but still sturdy, miniature schnauzers are wonderful, intelligent, and great with kids too!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My dog was a German shepard/Rotweiller mix. We had him before we had our first and he was never around babies before that. The day we brought her home she cried and he was by her side. He never left her, until she started crawling and pulling his hair, and even then he'd lay there and take it. Never once growled at her, bite her, nothing. He was a great dog!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Golden Retrievers. That's what I had as a kid. I also had one as an adult. A black lab too. They were both great with my daughter. Very loving and gentle animals.
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 9:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would say a Golden Retrievers they are known to be good with kids and are a loyal dog.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• That kind that you can train to eat them when they get on your nerves!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think a Golden Retreiver is the best dog. We had a golden retreiver mix and she was the best dog. So calm and so gentle. We now have a border collie mix who is ver hyper and can be mean, but we still love her.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree ....Golden Retrievers. But a Golden puppy... Good luck! Our rescued puppy is finally almost 2 and getting somewhat reasonable. Even Cesar Milan was most frustrated by Retrievers;) Rescue an adult Retriever from a shelter and you will have a gem!

There's alot of breeds great with kids. But a small, non shedding, little head ache to grown ups dog that's also excellent with children IMO is the Shih-tzu.

I would have never thought it. But a friend of mine has children that are less than respectful with pets, and their little shihtzu was excellent. So I got one from a puppy ( which I think is the key with little dogs) and he is amazing. I'm very watchful, but even with children who have accidentally made him yip, he'll turn around and go right back to their lap like "pet me please" ;) I keep him groomed like a schnauzer so they can look however you prefer.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• rottwiler many ppl say no way but in fact i have been around them my whole life and i have had a 4 yr male rotty save my next door neighbors kid from drowning in the pool! they are very protective of children like they are their babies...get a rotty puppy and raise it with your child make sure shots ALL DOGS especially around children should get a temperment shot up to date as well as all their shots and your good to go
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 7:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2010