re-post from another question-maybe tmi? adult content

i saw a question that said " im 14 and i think i might be pregnant, what should i do?"
that got me thinking. what are you doing to prevent you child having sex/safe-sex?
my dh and i have already talked about when and what we will talk to our daughter about. i was introduced to blow jobs when i was in 4th grade. so we are going to have a soft talk in 3rd grade, so she can hear it from us instead of someone else.
just wondering what other moms are planning on doing?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I haven't thought about it yet as mine are only 18 months and 3 years, but I will approach the situation honestly and informatively (age/comprehension sensitive that is) I want my children to be comfortable asking me any questions they may have and want them to be informed about safe practices and possible outcomes of their actions.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have an ongoing dialog with my 9 year old. It's not just going to be one talk but an open relationship where we able to discuss anything. The older he gets the more we discuss.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Kword- my dd is only 13 months but my dh and i want to be ready ya know.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Comment by Lovin_mybaby5 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• mine too young
    but when i had step daughter i was very open when she asked question, said she could ask me anything and when i would over hear her talking/using slang bad words, i would approach her aside and ask if if she knew what that meant (without getting mad about her language) she of course did not and i would tell her) i would always be straight forward, no laughing or judging, but as i was the step aprent i did not approach her and tell her things- not my place, but always did talk about if she brought it up
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• So....blow jobs ARE sex, we all know, and I would have a stroke if my daughter was introduced to that kind of stuff. When my daughters were young, we discussed sex, they asked questions and they decided that it would be wrong to have sex when they were young. They didn't even want a real boyfriend and dated in groups,as friends. THANK GOD> They waited until they were in their early 20's after they hqd a college degree ad started out on their careers.
    WHen parents talk with their kids,they need to tell them all about sex,pregnancy,and birth control but the most important thing is to discuss MORALS>And discuss their SELF-RESPECT AND REPUTATION.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'm with these guys. The running dialog from an early age is the best way to keep them responsible. They need to know the possible consequences, where your family stands on premarital sex (and that, regardless, it should only be with someone you love), and that they can always come to you with their questions. The non-judgmental attitude is vital. My mom was always very open with my brother and me, and we both were always really good about birth control, and neither of us have ever had an STD. I have one son who was planned, and he just got married, and doesn't have kids. I know that the open relationship we had with Mom made allure difference, and DH and I plan to be the same way with our kids (so far, a 2 year old).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• honestly, i have no idea right now.. since my DD is 2, almost 3, and my other DD is still in my belly (only a few more weeks to go, lol).

I'd like her to be well educated ESPECIALLY since I know BC isn't as effect as a lot of people like to claim it is. I know because my body rejects hormonal birth control. So I want her to know ALL of her options, and encourage her to wait.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• lol, I should say them.. i'll have to get use to saying them from now on, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have an 11,4, and 2 year old. I have always been very out spoken with my 11 year. she is very open to me and her father. We always talk about anything that she asks us. We answer it honestly and age appropriate. She has come to me since she was very young with questions or concerns. For example at school one day she was asked by a boy to kiss him, (she was only in the 3rd grade) She said that she told the boy that she is not to have a boyfriend and it is not ok to kiss a boy that is not your husband. I was so proud of her for telling him that, that I gave her a big hug and praised her tremendously. We even went out to eat to celebrate. There was another occasion when a 6th grader asked her to have sex when she was in 5th grade. (I about died when she told me.) I stayed clam and asked her what she said. Again she informed him that she was not married and it is not ok to have sex until she was. LOVE IT! Just keep talking!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, it's always good to plan ahead, especially for such important situations.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2010