For those that spank: Whats your take on spanking bare bottom?

I know this is hard to do for some people but this question is intended for people that spank so please no posts like "I don't spank" or "Spanking is wrong for....reason"

I will start us off. I am a believer in spanking bare bottom for the simple reason that it lets me see what I am doing and since I give more then a smack or 2 thats important.

Iamasinglemom99

Asked by Iamasinglemom99 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Bare bottom gets the sting through to the child. When diapers are worn and jeans, it has no effect, but to hurt mom's hand.

My son responds better to bare bottom. He laughs when he has clothes on. I kinda prefer when he runs around in his undies some days when he's deciding to act up. Thigh is visible and easy to access.

Spanking him makes him listen than just sitting him down and talking to him or the corner. It gets the message across. MOM'S NOT PLAYING!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Could be considered child abuse by the courts and CPS. Just putting it out there. A spank on the clothed butt is one thing but bare bottom, NO.
    Anonymous

• I don't see the need. Spanking doesn't need to cause pain, IMO. And for my kids it rarely does. On the other hand it hurts their pride and makes a point. It establishes place and authority, and makes a child understand that Mom isn't going to back down... So what's the point of the bare butt? To me, there isn't one. Now, for someone who believe spanking needs to include pain, a bare butt makes more sense, cause they surely aren't going to hurt through a diaper or jeans...

And to Anon, as far as what is considered Abuse in MY state, no, a bare bottom is not abuse by the courts or CPS.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My husband has spanked our children in there bare bottoms. We hate it when it get's to that point but the sad truth of the matter is that when they get to a certain point time out's just don't work. The reason my husband does it bare bottom is to make sure that he doesn't hit the same spot over again.
    Marling

Answer by Marling at 10:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Anonymous bare bottom is not considered abuse in Florida...I don't think it is anywhere in the states in fact. I think the spanking cases that go to court are(at times) abuse for other reasons.
    Iamasinglemom99

Comment by Iamasinglemom99 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No difference IMO. To a PP, I can spank with a spoon/spatula/switch and CPS can't do anything. FTR, when I spank it is with my hand.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We grew up getting spanked bare bottom so yes.
    Anonymous

• I never spanked or was spanked but I have seen it happen and 9 times out of 10 I am not surprised. Usually I see a kid get a pretty good reaction through their clothes. It's a pride thing.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I called personally and asked the locas cps...

It is not against the law. A lady at a Christian study was telling the mothers it was against the law. I don't like people being taught inaccurate things as fact. So I checked into it. The law is it may not leave a mark lasting longer than 24 hrs. Just stating the law. Not my opinion or that I leave marks. But don't mis inform people. Thanks.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 2:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It just depends on the child and the situation. With my son, I have learned that taking his favorite toy away is better. For my daughter, having to admit it to her daddy and a family friend who is like her uncle is worse.
    mrs.jodi

Answer by mrs.jodi at 8:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2010