cloth diapers?

I need to decide next week what to do. I used disposables mostly for my first born, then went to cloth with my second, gave all my diapers away and then got pregnant and had another baby. We started with disposables and his skin just didn't handle them well so we went to the dydee service and its almost dnoe with. I cannot afford to keep doing that so I havbe to decide whether to buy cloth again. If I do I will be prefolds. Do you know of good deals for prefolds, and would you do cloth, starting from scratch or just do disposables? This may be our last one... if he's not it won't be for a long time until we have another.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would totally go with cloth, I'm cloth diapering three with prefolds and covers with a $150 stash, you will still save a TON using cloth even for just one. I bought all my prefolds second hand on Diaper Swappers and didn't pay more than $20ppd per dozen, and I bought a dozen Kawaii covers from http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would go with cloth diaper, also if you're not going to have another baby you can still sell them, I just bought 6 Bum Genius 4.0, there is a sale (buy 5 get 1 free) on Cottonbabies. I used prefold too, for my 13 months old, with a thirsties diaper cover, I bought them on Cottonbabies too (Indian prefold), but I read good things about Green mountain diapers, I liked using prefold but it was being hard to put them on my DD, she moves too much (I was doing angel wings and closing with a Snappi), and my DH prefers to use the pockets diapers when he changes her.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Jillians drawers website has a cool used program that you can get cloth cheap.

I did the math on disposables: $40 per week when we went on a vacation. Worst diapering week of my life!!!

Walmart sells gerber flats and pre folds for stupid cheap.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I didn't even start CD until my 3rd was 10 months old. I think it's worth it.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Nickisdiapers.com has some good deals. Look in the Cloth Diapering group on here, they have some GREAT resources listed.
    I would go with the cloth, if Baby's skin doesn't tolerate disposables well.
    You can also look on Craigslist (just wash them a couple of times before using), or Freecycle. Diaperswappers is great as well!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My friend uses cloth diapers for her daughter. She says that she does it cause it saves money, but I can't figure out how she works that out. She buys the really good ones, they are like $20 each and apparently they suggest that you have at least 25 of them. Now when I had my daughter, she is 3, I used disposable diapers (Pampers) and bought them in bulk, so I spent about $30 a month.When you look at it like that, she spends $500 for 2 years (assuming she doesnt have to replace any, which she prob will) and I spent $720 for 2 years, it does seem like she got the better deal BUT, then you have to remember that she has to do a load of laundry per day just for those diapers (this means laundry detergent, electricty and water, especially since she has to do it on extra hot plus figure in her time to do all that). When your figure in the laundry an the fact that she has to spend $500 and once, I think disposable are cheaper.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Please choose cloth diapers!!! You'll save the environment and so much money!!! If you need help deciding you can visit the website I go to, Sweetheart Diapers & More. They've got great information about taking care of the diapers and detailed descriptions about all the products you'll need.  And you can buy right from their site if you'd like.

ClothDiapers

Answer by ClothDiapers at 3:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010