How can I help my son have a normal bowel movement again??

I had to give him a suppository the other night b/c he was just in SO much pain. Dr said he wasn't constipated but I beg to differ. Well since that night (2 nights ago) I have pushed straight juice, veggies canned and raw, water, grapes and have stopped giving him milk or dairy products in general. He has yet to poop normal and he used to be so regular. He only poops once and its only the size of a quarter when I am used to changing big time poops. Then he has skid marks in his diaper all day long. I have tried to give him prunes but he doesn't care for them and will only drink prune juice if its watered down. How long will it take for him to regulate again? How long should I wait to do another suppository? (he is 22 months old)

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't give him any suppositories without consulting his DOCTOR.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• dr told me to give him one the first time tyfry
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do you give him warm liquids - like warm watered down prune juice? I've heard oatmeal has gentle natural laxatives. Gosh, don't they get cranky when they are constipated? Does he walk around/ move around a bunch? That can help.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 10:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yea he moved non stop lol!! I will have to try the warm liquids and oatmeal. Don't know if he will eat it b/c he is weird about foods that have a lot of texture to it. We will see though
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had major pooping issues with my youngest. She was a year old and having the hardest bowel movements. I did the activia yogurt with her for a couple weeks, and it really helped get her back to normal. I also got tubes of lactobacillus from her doctor so when she has occasional problems now I just pop one of those in her juice and she's good to go again.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My daughetr is going through that right now. Prunes work for her but she refuse to eat it at times. Her doctor recommended Miralax she's been taking it for two weeks now I don't think it's working yet.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Mix prune juice and apple juice. Works like magic for my DD.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010