My 3 yr old wants all my attention, what can I do?

On my days off I have housework to do, and he is always wanting me to play with him. I dont mind playing with him but I also have many things to do and cant spend all my time with him. He does occasionally play well by himself,but I ask him if he wants to color, he says no, puzzles- no, almost anything my daughter liked to do, he doesnt want to do. ANy suggestions for what to try with him so I can get my daily chores done?

Luvnmomof2DC

Asked by Luvnmomof2DC at 10:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• can he help you? My DD loves to help, I have her put a new bag in the garbage can, or hold the dust pan when I sweep, etc
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My Daughter is 3 and needs all my attention 24-7. She loves helping me with anything folding clothes, garbage anything...just let him try to help..
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He'll need to learn to entertain himself. There's nothing wrong with saying "it's time for you to play quietly now - you may read books or color". You can also tell him that if he plays quietly for a while, that you'll do something together at a certain time. You can even set a timer so that he knows when the bell rings, it's time to play a game or do something with Mom - IF he's played on his own for a while when that's what he was supposed to be doing. It will take a little coaching to get him used to that and you'll need to be patient - but if you are consistent in your teaching, he'll learn to play independently for short periods of time.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Mine are 4, 5, 6, and 8 - and like Alice said, they needed to learn how to play without Mom. When my oldest was little, she needed to learn to play independently especially when the new baby was sleeping.
    And as we always made sure that they had plenty of individual time, they were often alone with one set of grandparents or the other ... grandparents who also needed to get things done during the day, and would direct that child to play with their dolls or trucks "while Grandma washes the dishes and then we'll have lunch" or some such thing.
    This isn't something children know how to do on their own, it's something they'll need to be taught and to see modeled for them as well. They need to learn that it's ok to be together while doing different things.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My 3 year old LOVES to "help" do laundry, scrub the floor, clean windows, etc. But, I know what you mean...it's hard.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He can do them with you. Mine both loved to help at that age. Plus, it'll get him used to helping out around the house. Now, my kids, 5 and 10, help with little complaint because they know it's part of having a house.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Have him help with the chores!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• let him help you with the house work... my girls LOVE to sweep with their little brooms, wash dishes (i give them their plastic cups and a stool to stand on)... they even will help clean in the bathroom (even though it's just water in a spray bottle and paper towels to wash the shower doors...) gets them involved so that i can get my housework done!
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• what about helping you with chores? or what i would do is get them set up to play but let him know that i will be busy for a little while and he can play without me. and i would go check on him. my now 3yr old love to help around the house. my favorite is watching him organize the silverware.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010