Testing your child

I been told many times that my dd is very smart. Ahead of most children her age. I also been told when she gets to a certain age i can ger her tested. Anyone do this? i always thought it was done in school to put them in more advanced classes. I don't want any pressure on her when she gets older to be the best. I just want her to be herself and if she is naturally advanced so be it. Anyone else of any experience with this.

My grandmother and my mother and the daycare provider all have said it. The dr on her last visit said she was slight ahead but nothing that crazy. just curious a mom

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no idea, but that's pretty cool! I would say there's really no point in testing at this point, since she's no in school or anything. She'll move ahead naturally. My only "heads-up" would be sometimes other kids get jealous in school and make fun of "smart" kids. Sometimes kids get the idea that it's COOL to be a bone-head! But that's a long way off. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, my son was tested at the psychologist office- we were there for other issues. He was 2 points short of gifted and talented, so I asked that the school test him and they said he just catches on real quick, he is not actually gifted. So anyway, when your daughter gets into school the teacher should be providing work at her level regardless of how she compares to the other kids.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• She is loved in daycare... i don't think is a follower at all. she holds her own so i have been told. but i totally understand what you mean. she is only 20months. we shall see.
    skittles1108, what age did your son get tested?
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I just did a quick search and found this interesting:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Know_if_Your_Child_is_Gifted
    It makes me wonder if my son might be. I don't know, his doctor calls him gifted, but she's also a family friend and thinks my husband is a genious. He's a smart guy, but I think she might think of him more highly than she ought. And she seemed to make this decision about my son really early on, she commented on him being advanced at 6 months old. And at 2 years old I was worried that he was behind, he didn't respond to his name until he was 18 months old, he barely talked at 2 and yet instead of being concerned she was like "oh I'm not surprised." Anyway, I home school so I have nothing to compare him too and no need to test him, but he is almost done with the K curriculum and he just turned 5 in Oct, and he's super good at puzzles, constantly questions EVERYTHING. But who knows, maybe he's just normal.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Actually that article makes me think that if you think your child is gifted, once she's in school, you should have her tested. Because that describes my brother 100% and he almost flunked out of highschool. He was definately bored in school, he skipped a grade and was still bored, knew all the answers automatically. Was reading and writing when he started kindergarten but the teacher didn't even notice. Our school system stinks and my mom had to fight for 3 years for him to skip a grade because they said he was too immature. Once he got to highschool he was so used to flying by without any work that he would never do homework or turn in papers, he still aced tests, but that only counts as part of a grade. Seriously, he is 7 years younger than me, and when I was in middle school and he was in 1st grade I would ask him how to spell words. Too bad our schools didn't have something better for him. He's 22 now, and has a job
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• teaching writing composition classes at the local community college. So I guess he's doing ok, but imagine where he could be if he had been given schooling more at his level. Hopefully he'll get his masters degree and be able to move up. This is his first year teaching and he is only getting 1 or 2 classes a semester and only 100 level classes right now. The only reason he got the job is because he ended up going to an alternative highschool at the community college after flunking a year at traditional highschool and the proffessors there got to know him.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We didn't have our son,11,"tested" on our own. Through his school he took standardized testing and was asked to join the Duke TIP program. This is a program for gifted children to help them to find extra resources to use. He also took a Lexil test at the beginning of this year that tells you haw well your child reads and how much they comprehend. Top score is a 1300, DS scored a 1189, he's reading at a 12th grade level. We are very proud of him and we try to keep up with all of his intrests. He's a well rounded kid with a ton of friends and loves to play outdoors just as much as he likes to curl up with a good book. I would tell you to look for a good school that will help to advance your child in all aspects of school not just academics. DS's school pushes the kids in their own grade and does not skip grades so that the kids stay within their peer group. Good Luck!!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Thanks everyone! I have a bit of time before school but today she was repeating from the tv and she just does things that are just more advance i believe. i don't think she is a genius by any means and i don't want to be that "mother" but i want to give her all the opportunities if she is ahead and be proud with what she can do no matter what that is.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Check with the local school system

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I really not ready to check with the school systems yet. she is only 20months. her daycare provider has told me she is ahead of things. i don't know where my locak school system will be when she starts school but when i am ready i sure will. thanks.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010