Would you provide your child with contraception?

Please include your childrens age and gender in your answer.

When your child decides that they want to be sexually active (in a perfect world that would mean they are married and on their honeymoon), and they are still young and at home, will you priovide them with contraception?

cesarpup

Asked by cesarpup at 10:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My oldest is 4, I'm hoping they don't need it. But yes, when they choose to be sexually active (which I hope is WAY before marriage) they will be provided whatever form of protection they may need...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• 15 yo boy--yes condoms are offered and left in bathroomm, he is not sexual active yet and I hope he waits but I want him to be prepared, it's gonna happen, and better safe then sorry
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Hmmm... that takes a lot of thought... DS is just one, so I have a long time yet to figure that out, but I think If he wasn't under 18 it would be "Not under my roof" and if he was over 18 it might still be that, but if not, I would not provide contraception: I would require him to get his own and show me that he's using it. Then again, what guys use contraception? I'm pretty sure if my son was doing that, he would be keeping it a big secret.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• knowing how crazy girls are (being as i am one ;) ) i'm tempted to put my daughter on the pill as soon as i feel shes sexually active. well i dont actually have a daughter but the pretend daughter i will have in the future :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, I have a 9 year old and I don't see it happening anytime soon, but when the time does come he will be fully educated and I will definitely provide him anything (contraceptives or information) that he will need.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a boy and granted he's only 2 and this topic wont come up for a long time but I plan on being open and honest with him. I realize that kids nowadays are becoming sexually active at a much younger age. I am the eldest of my 6 siblings and I felt like I was sexually promiscuous (lost my virginity at 16) and I was amazed at what my younger brothers said they were doing with girls.
    I want my son to grow up knowing the facts. I think for boys the talk should happen around 13. I want my son to understand that sexually transmitted diseases are out there and I don't think by talking to him it's going to encourage him to sleep around. I think that by keeping the lines of communication open and letting him know that yes sex is fun there are A LOT of risks involved when you're careless
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have already had the sex talk with my 12 year old and I think that he knows almost as much as me about it :P But seriously yes I would provide condoms. I don't wish to be raising any grandkids but at the same time I can't stop him from having sex. My hope is that if he does have sex at some point in the next 6 years while he is under my roof is that he sticks to oral sex.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a boy, he's 4. This won't be an issue for many years, but yes, I want him to be able to talk to me about anything and if he chooses to have sex, I will be more than willing to provide him with protection. I'd rather that than have him be careless.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have 3 children--a son who is 40, a daughter who is 37, and a son who is 33. We never gave any of them contraceptives, and none of them ever asked. What we did do was teach them that sex is for marriage, which they totally believed and embraced. They all knew what to look for in a mate, and the oldest son married at 24. Our younger son married at 27 and our daughter married at 31. We had and still have very open and honest relationships with all of them. We never assumed that they were "going to do it anyway" so we had to prepare them to protect themselves. Instead, we assumed they were hearing and believing what we were teaching them was best for them, which is precisely what they all did.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My dd promised me (when she was 13) that she would talk to me before she had sex.  When she started dating her current boyfriend earlier this year, I knew it was coming.  She kept her promise and made an appointment with the doctor, got a prescription for the pill and I pay for them (they also use condoms).   She will be 18 in 3 weeks. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010