What if your child was bitten by a stray dog?

If your child was bitten by a stray dog and the emergency room doctor reccomended rabies shots, would you get the shots? I know I would. I actually know someone that opted out. Thankfully their child is ok and it is past the year that rabies could become dangerous. Just for your information, once the sypmtoms of rabies start and the virus is active (it takes up to 12 months after the bite) it is fatal.

cesarpup

Asked by cesarpup at 10:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i definitely would
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yep without a doubt.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Of course.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. A rabies test would be requested prior to the shot. IF it came back that medication was needed, then it would be given. However the shot can be given long after symptoms begin to show in humans, and the testing can be done in 48 hours. I do not believe in treating an illness that one does not have.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would and that stray dog would be a very dead stray dog too!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 10:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• SabrinaM, sounds like good info! Good to know a test can be done, but as far as symptoms, cases I have known the person was quite dead as early as 6 days after symptoms showed up, so how can the shot be given then? I always understood what a PP said, that once symptoms show up, it's fatal.... would definitely be interested if that's not true! And if what you say is true, then no, I wouldn't get the shot, either.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• To Sabrina......there is no test for rabies. Only preventative measures in advance. You can take those measures or risk it. Once the virus becomes active a human has 24-48 hours. It is an agonizingly painful death.
    cesarpup

Comment by cesarpup (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• get the shots
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The test can show positive but not until AFTER the rabies has become active, at that point, it is too late.
    By the way....all of this info was provided to the mother of the child and she STILL did not get him the vaccines. And yes, he still lives there....disgusting!!
    http://www.doh.wa.gov/notify/guidelines/pdf/rabies.pdf
    cesarpup

Comment by cesarpup (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't know if this helps...but there has not been a rabies case (at least in Indiana) as a result from a dog bite in over 20 years.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010