couple of questions.. and in one.

I always let my kids feed on demand.. and they set a routine on their own. Now baby number is 4 is being different.
She is 10 weeks old, is 11 pounds. she was taking 4 oz every 3-4 hours. Starting Friday.. she would only take about 1-2 oz at a time, but then she wanted it every 1-2 hours. So she's getting the same amount of formula in 24 hour period.. but why the sudden change? And she seems to be sleeping more. instead of being up thru the day.. she is sleeping. (she's slept thru the night since she was 6 weeks).
What do you think? Normal? Getting ready for growth spurt?

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say she's about to start a growth spurt. Sleep is BIG for growth spurts. My son would do that. Most days he'd eat normally like you said, then all of a sudden he would just taper off and eat a little here or there. I wouldn't worry too much.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Growth spurt! At 10 weeks my son started taking 5 oz. every 2 hours instead of every 3-4. So he is actually getting more! He does sleep through the night now (he's 13 weeks) and his nurse said that it's because he's building up his calories during the day so he's able to go without them at night. His ped. actually said that smaller more frequent feeding are better especially during growth spurts but my kid knows if he's getting less than 4oz at a time and will cry for more!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Growth spurt - my son did the same thing around that time. He still has phases where he will eat a little or extra depending.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 1:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Baby, lol! Could very well be a growth spurt, or just her marching to her own drum. Don't they realize that we try to get them on schedules for a reason? :) Here's hoping she's back to "normal" soon!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• She could just be stubborn like mine :). It does sound like a growth spurt though.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 2:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2008