I'm so stressed and I just had a breakdown!

My daughter is 2 years old. Her father is in the military and stationed in another state. Tonight it just seems like she hates me. She doesn't listen to me at all. Usually she does but tonight she's trying my patience. When I called her dad to talk to him about how I was feeling, he was NO help to me. Basically he's a good financial support..nothing more. Anyway, I've been juggling school full time and parenting on my own. I feel so alone right now and I've been crying almost non stop. I have no idea what to do :(

Keia W.

Asked by Keia W. at 10:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get her to bed and take a deep breath. Tomorrow is a new day. You are the boss, and she WILL listen to you. Make her or she does nothing else. You have to show her she is not boss now before it goes farther.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My husband is deployed right now & my LO is 5 months old. I was a single mom for 6 years prior to getting married again. It's rough. Is there anyone that can help you out & take her & give you a break?? I have been super stressed lately too. You're not alone.
    PM me anytime if you need to vent/chat/whatever.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 11:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Hang in there! We all go through similar situations and have rough days. Being a student and mother is extremely difficult. I'm sorry you are having a not-so-good day, but things will get better. That age is so hard too. My son is 2.5 and has been driving us crazy lately too. You can do it! Find a new game to play or sing a new song. Kids get so bored with the same stuff and they act out. I bring out a bottle of bubbles on tough days and it keeps the kids calm for quite a while.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I know that you have probably heard this before , but hang in there. I am a mother of 4 and strongly believe in putting myself in time outs as well. When things get rough for me I will put my 2 year old in her crib and let her know that mommy is taking a break. Not that she understands now but will adventurelly. All my other have. She will cry yes, but as long as she dn't know how to climb out yet she will be fine while you take a breather. I will go stand outside for a few minutes where all I can here is the wind blow and the birds chirp! then I take a few deep breathes and come in. If my daughter is still crying and it is naptime I just let her cry her self too sleep as long as I know that their is nothing wrong with her except her heart is broken. I know she will love me when she wakes up! Also she may be having a hard time with dad gone as well!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thanks so much everyone! I guess Im hurting even more because I try my best. Seriously, I try to be the best mom I can be..but when I spoke to her father, he just kept telling me about where I went wrong and things I should've done and how she wouldnt be this way had I disciplined her more often. :( I'm trying to be strong.
    Keia W.

Comment by Keia W. (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I understand you are a full time student and a mom and this must be difficult. Maybe you can let her look at her favorite show or you could read her one of her favorite books. Also if you take some time out for yourself and find a good babysitter, that might help too. I think some day care's have "Mom's Morning Out", if you don't already have a regular babysitter. Good luck.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Girl, children go through phases no matter what you do as a parent. If you are doing your best, that is all you can do. It sounds like you are a good mom and are trying your hardest to do your best, but you have to remember to take a break just for yourself every now and then. Good luck, Mama. *hugs*
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sometimes I think kids know when you're really stressed out. That's when they start acting up more. Instead, tell her to pick out a book she likes and read it to her. Then she might settle down some and listen better.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• it's okay to feel that way.... kids always pick and choose when they want to make your day easy... cry it out you'll feel so much better in the morning.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• But your child to bed, and take some time to just relax. Take a bubble bath, read a magazine, give yourself a facial and paint your nails. Just giving yourself some pampering can make you feel better. You are doing a good job mama, just breathe. this too shall pass.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2010