Have you ever given up on a friendship? If so, why and how long were you friends with with the person?

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 11:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes. I was friends with a girl for almost 10 years and then she just walked way with no explaination. I tried talking to her, tried to figure out if I did soemthing to offend her, tried to extend an olive branch, and she just totally blew me off. I finally had to realize that I couldn't fix the situation and move on. There were other circumstances going on (me having a baby, her husband not being able to have children going) so I think at least part of it was just her on stuff she was working thru. Now 4 years later she started contacting me. I still don't know what happened 4 years ago. So I am friendly, but still guarded. I really mourned the loss of her friendship. We won't ever be like we were before....
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, a few times. Most recently it was a friendship with a gal who, since I gave birth to my first child, just didn't seem to be too interested in keeping up the friendship anymore. She's a mom too, but about 7 years younger than me, but lived with her mom and brother, who both helped her raise her daughter. I think she first gave up on me because I could never go out to concerts or go out bar hopping anymore; I didn't have the same support system, and when she stopped contacting me, all I could say was, "Whatever." If she couldn't be supportive of the fact that I was my son's caregiver 99% of the time and that it wasn't easy for me to get out, then I lost interest in the friendship as well. Last time I spoke to her was maybe 2 years ago.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes I have with my last and only friend. We were friends for over 10 years. Because I went through a drastic lifestyle change and have super strong opinions that she does not agree with and apparently chooses not to respect.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• yes i did, we were friends lets see, 15 years, since she was 3 and she was my best friend always together, never apart. everything together, all because she was a pathological liar, and one of those hypercondriacts to where she was on so many pills for these fake problems she thought she was having, turned into a real nut job, and its sad she was only 18 !, but i have a 14 month old daughter, and i cant have my daughter around that, but i was always like this girls mom, always covering for her, keeping her out of trouble always there, even at 3 am when she needed me, her shoulder to cry on everything, it was tooo stressful though i had enough going on then to deal with her big problems, no. and i ddnt want that around my daughter, so i let it go, its what was best, and she needed help. and honestly i thot id be upset but im not its a relief. :) much beter off.
    liv_laugh_love

Answer by liv_laugh_love at 11:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I had a friend for about a year. She had a son about the same age as my son. We decided to put the boys in swim classes, well when I found out how to go about getting them in I messaged her on facebook (that is how we communicate) the day before registration for the classes was. She never messaged me back but I figured she read it since she is normally connected all day. The next morning (morning of reg.) I messaged her again and told her I was leaving. She never showed up to registration. I figured she had just decided not to take her son, which was fine. Well, she got mad at me and told me I went behind her back to get out of going to swim class with her....I was shocked! Anyway, she went and told other people she knew that I didn't know that I called her a bad mother, so I just ended it. I don't need crazy people like that in my life!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have ended the relationship with our old neighbors. We were close to that couple. I was even in the delivery room for the birth of the last child they had.
    We ended the friendship, because we no longer could be friends with people who did not respect their own children. The man has 4 kids from a previous marriage. The current wife is mean to those kids and they do not take good care of those kids. The new child is spoiled rotten. They let those kids get away with murder.
    They choose not to take the kids over the summer, like they are supposed to, because "they eat too much and are a pain."
    We don't need that CRAP in our lives. They are raising future criminals and do not care.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• yes, a couple of times. once was after high school, my supposed bff asked me a nasty question about the baby i was pregnant with and i just stopped speaking to her. we have reconnected on facebook but not like it was in high school.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• yes, 12 years of friendship.. and for many of those years he and i were attached at the hip almost. he got a girlfriend and the rest of his friends suddenly didn't matter. he was my children's godfather and was a huge part of their lives.. then he just ignored them. Since i couldn't pin him down anywhere caus ehe always bailed on me, and he always had an excuse not to talk on the phone, i sent him a REALLY nasty but honest email about how i felt about what he was doing, how much of a dick he is, and if he ever tried to come around my kids again i'd stab him in the neck. he told a mutual friend a few days later that he was afraid to run into me cause he really thought I was going to do something to him, THATS how pissed off i was. that was .. over two years ago, still haven't spoken a word to him.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had a friend of 9 years that I quit talking to. We were both married and neither one of us were very happy. I got a divorce and having not children jumped back into the dating pool. She had a 1 year old son but began cheating on her husband with every guy she met! I understand someone not being happy...but just leave!! She then began lying and making excuses, and talking bad about everyone (including me). Her husband found out and they decided to try to make it work (it didnt in the end) and he would not allow her to see me because she claimed it was all my fault. About the time I met my current husband she ended it with hers and of course wanted to be my friend again. I havent talked to her in 2 years.
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 4:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'm a very loyal friend, but yes, over the yrs, I have given up on a few friendships. None of the choices were made lightly, and some of the friendships had lasted longer than others. One friend I gave up on was right as I was getting ready to graduate from High School. She had dated a guy (her 1st bf), when she was like 13. He was killed when he was like 15 / 16 yrs old (right before we became friends, she had lost contact with him before he was killed). She later met his younger cousin (we were Srs in High School - she was 18) who was the same age then that the dead cousin had been when she knew him. She and he started secretly dating. I felt it was WAY inappropriate for an 18 yr old to date a 13 yr old, and I wouldn't lie for them to help and she was mad about it. Other stuff happened, but that was basically the final straw for me with that one.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2010