13 month old hitting herself

My 13 month old gets frustrated several times threw out the day & starts smacking herself upside the head with both hands. I've tried distracting her, helping her, saying "No-no, we don't hit" but nothing seems to make it better. Is this normal or is this something I should address to her pedi?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest when he was 1 1/2 used to 'make like a handstand' and hit his head on the floor (hard too!) It was just a phase really.. I realized it was just his way of expressing his frustrations.. so talking to him and giving him more tools to 'vent' um, less violently, was the best I could do. In addition, I didn't act on his head banging after a while because by doing so it made him feel like it was acceptable and he'd do it more (he wanted the attention). I also figured out that he only did it to the point he could tolerate. A couple times he did it so hard and realized "WOW THAT HURT! Maybe I shouldn't do that again!" and eventually grew out of the phase and learned better ways to express his frustrations.
    MommyHimes86

Answer by MommyHimes86 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would just ignore it. But if you are really concerned, talk to your Dr. But im sure she will stop eventually.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2010