What is the difference between being pro-choice and pro-abortion?

"I am not pro- abortion, I am pro-choice".

That is a statement I have seen on CM a lot lately. What exactly is the difference? Does that mean that you wouldn't get one yourself, but it is ok for someone else? If that is the case, why wouldn't you get one if in the same circumstances as women who do chose abortion?

HadassasMommy

Asked by HadassasMommy at 12:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• pro-abortion IMHO is just what pro-life people spout off to make pro-choice people sound evil. NO ONE is pro-abortion. That would mean they are telling everyone to go get an abortion if you are pregnant.

Pro-choice means that you believe it is the woman's choice on whether or not to get one. Pro-life thinks no one should ever get an abortion.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion it means that it's only ok under some circumstances (i.e.- being raped). Abortions shouldn't be used as birth control!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• To me, it means there should be a choice. period. It doesn't mean I would have an abortion just because I was carelessly running around being promiscuous. I don't think the government has a right to tell me what to do with my body. This goes for vaccinations, choices in having a home birth, wow, a whole host of other things. INFORMED CONSENT AND CHOICE
    Anonymous

• THEY BOTH ARE PRO - MURDER IT ALL MEANS THE SAME THING EVERY THIRD BABY DIES FROM CHOICE !!
    Anonymous

• IT'S NOT YOUR BODY YOUR KILLING IT'S A UNBORN BABY GET REAL !!!!
    Anonymous

• that's your opinion 12:37, you are entitled to it, BUT thank God it's not the opinion of the rest of the world though.
    Anonymous

That is part of my question. Why is it OK in some circumstances, but not in others. It is the same procedure in all cases.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 12:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• thanks to the case of Roe vs Wade, it's the woman's choice.

why does it matter to anyone else what a woman decides? would you adopt that child if she didn't get an abortion? no, it would go into the system and go through foster care.
    Anonymous

• I am a murderer because I had an abortion when I was 16? Whatev.
    Anonymous

• anon 12:47- if it helps any I don't think you are a murderer!
    Anonymous