how did you sleep train your kids?

my first kid.. awesome sleeper! went to sleep without any problems from infancy until now (he's 4).. but my littliest.... URGH!! i'm running out of strategies and patience. i just want her to sleep :_( it's so frustrating that i feel like crying. What have you done to sleep train your kids and what has worked out for you?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 11:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, some people may not like this but my almost 4 year old goes to sleep with a movie (like the Lion king, Cinderella ect) on. When she was 2 she got sick for like 2 weeks so I let her watch movies. When she got better, she still wanted to and wouldn't sleep without them. Finally I gave in, her pediatrian says it is really not a problem since she goes to sleep within 30 min of the movie and she hardly watches any tv during the day.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It took a couple weeks before we started seeing any results, and a month or two before she was mostly consistent. So, it took a lot of patience. We decided what the routine would be. For us, it was diaper change, feed, pacifier, lights down, fan on, here's your bunny, "I love you. I love you love you love you. I love you SO much. I love you.", and then lay her down in her crib. At first, she'd cry, scream, stand back up. She never "cried it out". She'd cry herself into panicked hysterics to where she couldn't breathe straight. So then even when she did calm down those post-cry ragged breaths woke her up. Had to avoid that. Every 3-5 minutes, I'd go back, redo the pacifier, bunny, and "I love you's". In between, I'd practice calming breaths, and sometimes head-butt the wall. Eventually, she'd wind down and taper off. Often it took an hour of this, and by the time she was ready to drift off...
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• ... she was hungry again and we'd start all over. LOL! I can feel the memory of the frustration, just typing this. But the good news is, now, our bedtime routine is about 60 seconds long, and she goes down like a dream 90% of the time or better. Easy. I just lay her down and leave. Then she falls asleep. I've heard of so many other techniques as well. Just be consistent with whatever you do, and don't follow any hard and fast rules by others. YOU know your baby better than anyone.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Try the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution". They have a toddler edition. Even if you don't follow it 100%, there are some great tips in it.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I cried it out with my DD at around 15months. before that she would be slept in my bed and then be taken to her crib. i got tired of doing that because she woke often and i had to start all over. so i just took a week and do the same routine and she cried but that that long and if its longer then 5mins then i would take her to the bed. but now she is 20months and goes to bed with no trouble and sleeps through the night. but ofcourse not everyone believes in it. have to do what is best for your child. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• She has a set bedtime and routine. And after we put her down, we dont go back in. But 90% of the time, she is asleep instantly, and the other nights, we let her cry for 30-45 min, and then we go in and repeat.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Routine! And I did all the night routines with the babies in the dark or had a night light on in the room so I could see what I was doing so they never really woke all the way. It fallowed through to now and they are all growing! 8yr old, 4 yr old, and a 2 yr old
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• well with my oldest lay her down give her her baby bop nad put an movie on shes normaly out with in minutes but my 2nd ill feed her change her and then put her in her crib often she cries for a while which problem wouldnt last so long if the mil wouldnt yell down the stairs wanting to take her
    luckygurl17

Answer by luckygurl17 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010