Addiction and recovery...

I'm a recovering alcoholic (I've been sober for four years) and I was an active alcoholic for almost 20 years. Recently I ran into a problem with prescription meds (ambien, xanax, etc) and I've been off those for about three months now and was only on them for about a year. For some reason the temptation for the meds is a lot harder to control than the alcohol. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Health

• Alcohol is a depressant, so once you're clean you're more likely not to want to go back to feeling that way than you are with meds, which are mostly uppers... It's because of how they affect the brain, and it's not abnormal. My DH is in his 3rd year of recovery from meds, he was also a drinker, but not technically an alcoholic. Now, he's able to have a few drinks and walk away, but he will never be able to take meds, not even for pain... Again, it's because of how they affect the chemistry of the brain.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My hubby was addicted to perscription pain meds. AA meetings can help you with that too.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Oh I know...I'm getting all the help, it's just that I'm having a crazing for the meds like I never did with the alcohol after recovery and alcohol was the love of my life...lol
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My DH also has a drink, but will never touch another pill.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i dont really have an answer but do u ever go back and think of the things u did to yourself and others who love u while were drinking and takin meds. i am a child of two drug addicted parents and it hurt me forever im so afraid to take or do anything thinking it will go too far. i recently gave birth and had a c-section(uuuggghhh)but i would rather be in pain than to start that. its hard to be clean but u have to trust yourself and pray that u stay on an even kill. i hope it gets better i will have u in my heart always because i know the struggle stay strong.
    columbria

Answer by columbria at 11:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010