Why cant ur family accept that u r in love with a someone in the military?

my mom n sisters think im crazy for dating a man in the navy.i told them i am happy with this man n they need to deal with it n r gonna hv to accept it bt they wont.

navyswthrt

Asked by navyswthrt at 11:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• maybe for the fact that they don't want you to get hurt if something were to happen to him.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Anything can happen to anyone, regardless of thier occupation. My husband and I are both Marines and we have to deal with a lot, but if you are a strong unit (as in you and your man) then you can overcome anything. What you didn't mention in your question is what exactally don't they accept? Is it the politics, anti-war, prior experience w/ military relationship, non-military related (just don't like anyone you date)? Do they know him to even judge him? There is a lot more information I'd need to give you a better answer. BUT regardless, it is your life and you should seek what makes you happy.
    MommyHimes86

Answer by MommyHimes86 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My sister's husband is a Marine, currently over seas. My family supports and loves him.
    Perhaps your family doesn't like the idea of military men and doesn't want her to get hurt.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• People have dumb stereotypes about people in the military. It's so frustrating! Being the daughter of a Marine and the granddaughter of a soldier who served in WWII and Korea, I'm proud of our military family history. Yeah, that really sucks... dating a man who has a steady job, has great training for future career opportunities, and is in top physical health with complete health benefits (though don't get me going on the completeness of the complete, it's NOT enough!). Couple that with the sexy uniform and the code of honor... yeah, sounds like a real loser! ;) Best of luck to her, if he's a good guy, then the 'rents will come around.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 12:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• How are they "not going to accept it"? Are they going to stop talking to you? Ignoring him? I don't get it. Families don't "accept poeple's choice in spouse all the time. I personally think it's totally bizarre. However, I am wiling to be they will come around eventually.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 1:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I've never really had this issue. I married a sailor and my entire family loves him to death.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My family dont like him cuz he treats me like a woman wants to b treated.my mom n sisters hv tried to control my life for yrs n they r mad cuz i wont let them.im not there at there beck n call.i have had a few abusive relationships in the past n they had no problem with them but when i finally get a man that will not hit me they dnt like him.i told my family that i love this man.he always makes sure me n my kids have what we need n what we want.i finally get a good man n they gotta try n start stuff.he just ignores them.i mean they can come see me n my kids when ever they want.he dnt make them stay away from me.
    navyswthrt

Comment by navyswthrt (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010