Politics, Religion and Spanking...

I've always said I don't talk politics or religion with people I like 'cause it wont change anybody's mind and there's a good chance someone will be offended.

Does anyone else feel that it's time we (parents) stop arguing about the spanking issue and just except that we all have different parenting techniques and philosophies? Why can't we support each other in the challenge of trying to raise productive members of society instead of trying to make it a competition?

AprylnAtticus

Asked by AprylnAtticus at 11:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree, let's just let each other alone as long as nothing violent is going on.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• exactly, I mean if I see some one just beating the crap out of their kid I'll step in and beat the crap out of them but if I see a Mom or Dad pop a mouthy teenager in the mouth at Target or smack a 3 year olds butt at the mall for throwing a tantrum it ain't my business and the fact that they are at least addressing the behavior is enough for me.

In my mind those parents are at least doing 100 times better than the ones that give in and buy them what they want to get them to shut up right?
    AprylnAtticus

Comment by AprylnAtticus (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If you don't want to add to the conversation don't click the question. But seriously Politics and Religion are two of my favorite topics, especially here... Who cares if you're going to change anything, since when is it our job to change anyone but ourselves? That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the conversation.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• So, we should alter the religion saying to read this:

"Parenting advice is like a penis. It is fine to have one. It is fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.....and please don't shove it down peoples throats."

????

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Haha m-avi... that just made me laugh!

OP, I agree with you to a certain extent: for example I will never argue this with my SIL, who I know believes the opposite of me. Incidentally, I will avoid politics and religion around her. I want to find what we have in common. So, yeah, I avoid politics, religion, and parenting debates with friends and family members who believe differently than me. But with people I don't know it's interesting to debate because it's not as personal.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i am so with you on this one
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• EEEWWWWW!
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• hmmmmm...maybe because hitting kids is wrong? i don't care if moms bf, or erf, or cloth diaper, etc. but i just can't agree with hitting kids just because you're bigger.
    LeahJ

Answer by LeahJ at 5:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I like the way I tried to post about how we should stop arguing and still a few people wanted to argue about it LOL
    AprylnAtticus

Comment by AprylnAtticus (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010