Hand Sanitizers

Okay so i'm a bit of a germaphobe and I read somewhere that pregnant people aren't allowed to use hand sanitizers that have a high percentaged og alcohol in them and I'm just wondering if that is true and if so where can I find one with a lower percentaged?

new_mommie_2b

Asked by new_mommie_2b at 11:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Health

• Wow, that's a new one! I'm studying to be a midwife, and I've never heard that. Unless you're CONSUMING the sanitizer, you're fine, mama! There are NO advisories against hand sanitizers, even with high alcohol contents (increasing effectiveness, BTW) for pregnant women.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yeah I agree with the previous poster. Just make sure to rub your hands together until almost dry afterward and you should be just fine.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I never heard that either. I'm pretty sure alcohol is what kills the germs! Just don't lie your hands. :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I haven't heard that, but yes, they are generally alcohol... I personally wouldn't use them if you paid me, they are terribly unhealthy for you - germs are good for you my dear! However I did just see an add today for one that was low or no alcohol... I think it was from GoldBond...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My pregnant doctor used it all the time. She walked into the room, squirt. Walked out of the room, squirt. Unless you are on something like Antabuse for alcoholism, you should be okay. Babyganics is a good brand.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Interesting. Yeah one of the health packets I got about all the different information on what you can and cannot do, take or not eat, what to eat.... and so on, said that if I were to use a hand sanitizer use the one with like the lowest percentaged. I thought it was pretty interesting myself.
    new_mommie_2b

Comment by new_mommie_2b (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think it's perfectly fine and will help you to stay healthy during your pregnancy. There's nothing worse than a nasty virus (especially stomach) while pregnant.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Jordan Essentials has alcohol free hand sanitizers. It is 99.9% effective.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2010