(For a research paper) Should welfare recipents be drug tested?

I have to do a research paper for an argumentative paper and I figured this is controversial and will work for my paper. Please no rants I just need yes or no answers and maybe a brief explanation why you feel that way. This is NOT to start an argument its just for a paper. Thanks so much guys!!

Shannon

slmolter

Asked by slmolter at 11:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do...and I have been a recipient of welfare and I would've been happy to take a drug test before getting assistance.
    Sheilatx

Answer by Sheilatx at 11:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, it's cost prohibitive. If you do a search on the subject, there was a question a few months ago where we went and looked up the real numbers, you'll find links to the sources for the numbers there, but in general, it would cost several times more than we spend on PA to drug test everyone than it costs to just support the program. On top of that, there's a study linked there showing that the vast majority do not use, so you'd be spending trillions of dollars to find a few thousand people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, I really think welfare recipients should be drug tested, regularly.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Should? Yes. Could? With all the cuts the states are making to their budgets, it would probably be costly. A drug test is cheap, yes, but all the processing, paperwork, contractors, etc would make a cheap test cost three times what it should.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• IMO, if you can afford drugs, you can afford to go without welfare. I say yes, they should be drug tested. If drugs are your priority, I don't want my tax dollars funding your habit, when they could be funding Octomom's baby making habits. :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No! Those who choose to use drugs aren't going to not use simply because they are on Welfare, but their children and other family members shouldn't have to suffer... My SIL for example, is an addict, they both use and sell, and when they couldn't prove their income for WIC, they were cut off. Did that stop them from using? Nope, it just meant they stopped buying milk. The same would happen if they lost their FS, they would simply buy less or less healthy stuff for their kids than they do now. - Would the actual users loose out? Nope, but the kids would!

Secondly, it's not cost effective, to drug test every member of every home that applies for help would cost more than simply allowing them to get the help. And now that there are so many ways to "trick" the tests, there is really no point in even trying...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes I understand that Sabrina I am proposing a three strike proposal for my paper... long story. Thanks for the input it will help toward what I am already stating.
    slmolter

Comment by slmolter (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No who is gonna pay for it would be the biggest factor in that question. Their are too many people that are on drugs and not on welfare that should be tested.

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 12:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes. I think the government could find a way to cut the costs IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO. It should be mandatory. I find it sad when a person will take the assistance and sell it for their fix and then the children are living on junk. I saw a post about a woman in Colorado that murdered her week old baby by putting it in the washing machine. Made my stomach sick. Thinking about it if a person is a known drug addict, and get welfare, maybe law enforcement can be notified, then they can watch that person and bust the dealer. I am sorry i am side tracking the question. The government in my opinion should have the right to test anyone that they suspect is doing drugs. It might just save a person and get them help. Sorry if i am no help. My mind is tired. Such a good question though with some amazing answers.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• No, that would cost way to much to drug test everyone that will be on fs. Then who do we drug test, just the parents, other ppl that maybe living there and if they have kids over the age of 13. Where would it stop, how far would it go?
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2010