How do you handle a in law that you don't like?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I guess I should have answered better ...we need to love those people. Ask God for His help in helping you love that person and help in getting along with them. :)
    Sheilatx

Answer by Sheilatx at 12:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It depends on why you don't like them. You might try having a heart to heart to try and clear the air. If something she does bothers you but she doesn't know it then how can she fix it?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• limit the time you spend with them... that's what i do...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I just don't talk to her. Living so far away from her helps. It's my Husband's Aunt..and He doesn't want anything to do with her, either.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We just only go visit them on holidays now instead of hang out with them like we used to. It's my fiance's brother. I liked him until we announced our engagement and he told me that he couldn't believe his brother (my fiance) chose a girl like me.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Keep DISTANCE
    sony9

Answer by sony9 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I struggle with that. My next strategy is to request more support from DH. The in-laws aren't exactly unkind to me, they just generally ignore me or make me feel like I'm not as good as them. DH and I have had our challenges and we're working them out. It occured to me that as long as I'm not "good enough" for my husband, I won't be "good enough" for his family. In the past I've tried to avoid making my husband feel responsible for how his family treats me, but I've come to believe he DOES have some responsibility. And when we go for new years, I'm going to let him know he needs to show his family that he respects and values me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Deal with them as little as possible. I can't stand my SIL or my MIL so we barely have anything to do with them. They're both raging alcoholics who refuse to quit even though they're both dying of liver disease. However I love my FIL and step MIL, so we hang out with them as much as possible! :-)
    Christy_517

Answer by Christy_517 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• TRY BE PATIENT
    sony9

Answer by sony9 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Amen!! I need this answered for me too!! LOL
    Sheilatx

Answer by Sheilatx at 11:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010