If both adults of the household don't want the pet, is it fair to have it?

I found a stray dog. I have found them in the past, we give them shots & deworm them, then place them in a new family. Well I found a little dog and my husband made us keep it. I am trying to deal with it but I hate it. It needs to be trained and I am home with it all day and not willing to take it to class. My husband allows it on our bed and couch, there is hair everywhere.

Would it be horribly wrong to find it a great new home even if my husband wants him? We have given him shots, neutered him, & micro chipped him. He's all ready to go to a new home. I really resent this animal.

I'm ready to get bashed. I don't care. I love saving animals from the street but I don't want them in my home. If I'm horrible, so be it.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pets

• i applaud you for saving tiny lives. you are more than kind and maybe that is how it should stay. why did hubby decide to keep this one? not fair to you or him to resent him when he is a defenseless creature. so i say find him a nice home. if your hubby resists, i dont condone lying to a hubby but maybe someone took him from the leash(but you find him a great home) you are very kind to have done this for stray animals. best of luck!
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• no
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i see no issue with just housing it temporarily until you find it a good new home. But to make sure that things don't go sour between u and hubby it would probably be best to talk to him about it and explain what's up. part of being married is making decisions together. sucks sometimes though lol
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 12:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• What your doing is a wonderful thing and well you just aren't "clicking" with this dog and well you need to tell your guy that the dog is going in the best way possible ... or wait until you have found that perfect family and tell him then the dog is going. My 1st husband had a dog and I didn't mind it I just didn't want it in the house so she stayed in the all season porch or basement by night and by day roamed the 100 acre property we had back then. Back then I was super anal about keeping a clean house ...if it were today I wouldn't be so fussy.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Have you posted any ads yet for it? We have a kitty we are trying to find a home for, and it's hard, even giving them away is tough. Not enough people looking for pets, and lots of animals. Be prepared to end up with this guy (and invest in obedience school). I'm with you, I don't think you should have to keep this dog, I'm just given you a heads up. Otherwise, I'd say, good riddance!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My only advice is to figure out why you don't like it. Maybe if you can get an answer to that then you can go from there. If it's just that it needs to be trained and stuff like that well that is fixable. But if it's that it's a mean dog and is causing issues in your marriage because of it then I'd talk with hubby and tell him if he wants it he will have to take care of it all the way including cleaning up the hair and that it is absolutely unacceptable to have it in your bed.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• You need to place it asap. My hubby brought home a cockatiel once and the only one who feed it and changed the bottom of the cage was me. The bird was mean and it would bite me every time I came near it. He would also wake up at 5am everyday and start screeching. I never wanted the bird or asked for a bird, but there it was anyway. It caused a lot of stress in our marriage and it sounds like this dog is doing the same thing in yours. Dont feel guilty about it, after all, your the one home with it all day, not him. Sounds like you are spending a good portion of your day just chasing after the dog. Your kids need you first, it was a nice thing of you to do, but its time for him to go to his new home.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i would straight up tell your hubby whats on your mind...then if he does nothing say ok then its time to do what i want to do, more posters etc. if you can leave him outside in your yard for the day with food water and then have your hubby deal with him when he comes home till u find him a place to go...maybe he will release all his energy outside while you tend to your kid(s), when he gets on your bed take him,off close your door have a monitor for the kids so keeps the dog off your bed and for the jumping and trashing your house yep outside for the day sounds good its not like your abandoning him its letting him release his energy
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 7:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• tell your husband, and if he is unwilling to trade places to deal with the little guy then he needs to respect your decision to save and re-home only.
    MommyWoes

Answer by MommyWoes at 10:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think you are doing a wonderful thing by saving strays and finding them loving homes! I found a puppy on the side of the highway here where I live last yr the day before Thanksgiving. A no-kill shelter near us let me foster her through them until she was healthy enough to go to her forever home. It was a great feeling to know that I saved her from certain death (either she would have been run over, starved to death, or died from the heavy load of tapeworms she had)! Although I would have loved to keep her (my dh wouldn't let me because we already had 2 dogs of our own) and I still miss her a lot, I think it was for the best.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010