When should my baby sleep through the night?

My youngest is 7mths old and is still getting up 1 to 2 times a night. He is breastfeed and also eats 1 to 2 jars of baby food during the day. He used to sleep through the night till he was about 5mths and then he started waking up and it's continued. Should he be sleeping through the night? Is he waking up hungry or just waking up? Any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

okiemomma3boyz

Asked by okiemomma3boyz at 12:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some kids just don't sleep through the night. In fact, I still don't sleep through the night! LOL! Seriously, it's rare for me to sleep an entire night without ever getting up and I've been that way my entire life. My oldest never slept through the night until she was 9 months.
    They will go through different patterns of sleep their entire life. It's totally normal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 years and still don't sleep through the night without waking at least once or twice... My sister was a teen before she was able to sleep a full night... Each kid is different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Breastfed babies do tend to wake more at night because breastmilk is fully digested much more quickly than formula. 1-2 wake ups per night isn't bad. And sleeping through the night is defined as sleeping for a 5 hour stretch. He probably is hungry and started waking up again as his nutritional needs increased. As he starts to get more of his nutrition during the day he will sleep longer.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my son is 15 months he goes to bed between 8 n 11 if he goes to bed early hell wake up around 2 or 3 it doesnt bother me cause i dont go to bed til that time any lol
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son just started a few nights ago and he is 11 months.
    abstractmommy

Answer by abstractmommy at 12:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My first slept through the night and 6 weeks. My second STTN at 5 months. My third was 14 months before he "STTN" and really he still wakes up a couple times, he jusst doesn't eat when he wakes up.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son started sleeping through the night at 3 months. It olnly lasted a few weeks though, right as he started teething. He still wakes up 3 times a night,,I've tried everything. I guess I just have to deal with it and realize he will sleep through the night eventually.
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sounds normal, the baby will sleep through the night when it is ready.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Babies sleep patterns change a lot. My son woke up at least 3 or 4 times until he was like 6 months old. Then he started waking up only once. By the time he was 1, he wasn't waking up at all. Now he's 15 months and wakes up around 3 or 4am and won't go back to sleep for 2 hours! No clue why he does it but that's what he's going through right now. But the other posters are right. Breastmilk is digested much faster than formula so he is probably hungry. As he starts eating more baby or table food, he will stay fuller longer which will probably help him sleep. But 1 or 2 times is not bad at all.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• More important than sleeping through the night is learning to self-soothe, so that WHEN they do wake up on occasion, they can get themselves back to sleep. So, keep being a great mom, and he'll figure it out.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010