Do you consider yourself overprotective?

Sometimes I think of myself as overprotective, but then I'll see someone with their kids and wonder how can they think that's ok?! Just curious...

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope, but I think most other parents are... My kids can do just about whatever they want as long as they aren't going to get hurt - no playing in the street or anything crazy... But really, if they want to do it, they can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'm not over-protective... some may think so.. but all would say I'm a damn good mama.
    MommyHimes86

Answer by MommyHimes86 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I didn't realize there was such a thing. I do everything in my power to keep my kids innocent and safe as long as I can. Some of the things my friends allow their kids to do leaves me shaking my head.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Additional Question: What age did you allow your child to ride bike to the park? Say it's about 4-5 blocks away?
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• What age did you allow your child to ride bike to the park? Say it's about 4-5 blocks away?

In this neighborhood? 6ish... But we have such a low crime rate here we don't even have a police force... In NYC? 10... And if they have friends with them maybe younger... But ultimately it would depend on the kid(s) and how trust worthy they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• A bit. I let my kids do things but I get a little over protective when it comes to people watching the or being around them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, my son is 3, so yes I'm overprotective right now. He doesn't always know to be careful or to watch out for himself. He needs me to be overprotective. When he's older, I'll relax and loosen up a little. I don't ever want to be as overprotective of him as my parents were of me.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think it depends on who you ask. Everyone has their own opinion on what's "over-protective." I am only over-protective when it comes to REALLY unsafe things that I can't control. For example, I rear-face my kids to the max in their car seats because it's FACT that they're safer that way and I want to do what's BEST for them to ensure their safety. I can't control when I will get into an accident, so I want to make sure I protect them as much as possible. I am in NO WAY trying to "keep them a baby" which is what a lot of people relate to being "over-protective."
    I am pretty lax when it comes to other things like not caring too much about germs, letting them play in the backyard by themselves sometimes, talking to strangers (when I'm around), etc.
    As long as they're not putting themselves or someone else in immediate danger, I'm cool :)
    Bree0922

Answer by Bree0922 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• not to the point of being a helicopter mom, but i am a mama bear. I am a first time mom and ds is only a little over 2, so I cant help but be protective
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• yes i am...there are too many weird ppl out there, my 4 y/o dd is just now allowed to play out in our yard alone, but my front door stays open and she has to stay where i can see her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2010