My son turned 5, a couple of months ago. When kids can start some football train?

My son is very strong, active and I think he will enjoy learning some sport. Is there any one that is more beneficial or recommended at this age? What age is good to start in football? How kids get into so many sports? Is that possible and right to do? I think so much of something is wrong and he needs a balance. I thank you any advice.

CACHARRA

Asked by CACHARRA at 12:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DH said he's going to put our son in football when he's 6. My DH played football is entire life, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. lol. My mommy instincts say it's a little early, but that boy was born with a football in his hand! :)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Pop Warner starts at 5 and AYF starts at 6. My son started playing at 6. He would have played at 5, but we didn't know about it yet.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's definitely all about balance, just like you said! There's nothing wrong with physical activity (and there's a lot right with it!), but it does need to be balanced with intellectual activity. If football were to become too consuming, that would be a problem. Balance is important in all of our lives, and even more so in a young child's life. A young person has so many new things to try before they can decide what things they like best!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• D is starting soccer and baseball this year. He says he wants to play football so he might get to play that next fall. He is 5 now and will be 6 when football starts. He is going to try as many sports as he wants but he is going to have to narrow it down in the next couple of years.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my boys play flag football. i recommend it before tackle football if you have it in your area, lots cheaper,safer,and you learn the basics just no tackling. we started late at age 8 - i wish we had started a few years earlier,so much fun, good exercise,teaches them commitment and responsibility and about winning and losing. good self esteem boost. GL.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Schools usually send home a lot of pamphlets about joining this sport or that sport. Check with them. If he's not in school, then just check your local community offerings. There's something out there. Have fun.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thanks so much cafe moms for your advice and ideas. They were so helpful. Just FYI, he is in day care and VPK, his B'day falls on 9/07 so we had to wait until this year for him to start his VPK. I'm sure once he starts Kinder at the school in our community, we'll get a lot more info too. Thanks again for your great feedback!
    CACHARRA

Comment by CACHARRA (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010