How to deal with an overbearing boss!

Our manager likes to intimidate emplyees. This is very hard because he instills fear into everyone..

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am not sure what to tell you other than you are not alone. My last boss was a complete *clears throat* jerk. He micromanaged despite the fact that I had worked for him for close to 5 years. He was often sexually inappropriate in the comments he made. And in the end I was fired for my political views. And all this from a "Christian" in a "Christian" university.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 1:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• WOW! I'll never understand how mngrs. feel it's okay to be this way! You can get ALOT further with honey! I've been with this company 10 yrs. he's been there 3yrs. Hard to leave with my pay/vacation time..Thanks for responding.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• yeah Im in the same boat with you and I have worked there for almost 27 yrs. I try to defuse it with humor as much as possible. My boss is female and she is a micro manager. We only had a front line supervisor in for today and it was such a better work enviornment. Last week she came up to me and just started in, and she does it so everyone can hear her. I just looked at her and told her, "you are like a breath of fresh air this early in the am", and everybody started busting up, even she started laughing. There are times to try to inject some humor and there are times to stay quiet and keep on working
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have a hard time with humor around him, wish I could be more like you! I have learned to keep quiet and pray he'll screw up sometime!
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would get my job search going, full steam.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• There are different management styles and unfortunately, that's one of them. The best thing you can do is keep yourself under the radar and look for another job.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010