What small animal make a great pet for a child (like 7 - 13)

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pets

• Well, I LOVE dogs. I think every kid should have a dog, lol. But cats are ok too. And if you want a cagged animal maybe try a rabbit? I am not much into the rodent looking things, mice, rats, hampsters...but hey, to each their own!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Guinea pigs. I have 10 of them (ugh) and they have been great for my daughter and her siblings. We got our first when she was 7. She helps with the cage, feeding them, playing with them, etc. I don't make the responsibility 100% hers, but she is very helpful with them. Rats are also good. They are smart if you can get past the tail, which I can't. I am always reminded of seeing one in my kitchen where I used to live.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would try a dog. They tend to need less tending then a rabbit or genie pig would need. And a dog would be a great companion for them.
    courtrexmommas

Answer by courtrexmommas at 1:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I thoroughly enjoy my ferret. If I had it to do over again I would not own any of my other pets, and just have my ferret. They're like a constant kitten but better. Potty trainable. You get to cage them when you leave the house. Your child can take them on walks. It's a joy every day.

Only downfall I can think of is food can be a bit on the spendier side.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Rats are Wonderful...I owned one as a young adult and then I got my son addicted to loving them!
    They arn't as quick to bite as hamsters are but I've owned some Amazing hamsters too in my life.
    In fact one of our family pets right now is a hamster named "Evile Knievel".
    We also own 2 guinie pigs..tho they are quite stinky if you don't change their bedding every week to week 1/2.
    A dog is a BIG responsibility as a first pet...with walks and all and potty training. IMO.
    I didn't get my son our first dog til he was 12.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• a kitten i think would be good for your child, as the kitten grows you can have your child learn to care for the kitten as your child grows they be best friends lol only to things to take care of a kitten food/water and litter box
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 6:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• By 'small animal' I am assuming you mean not a cat or dog? My favourite small critters are rats and guinea pigs... they are sweet pets for kids. We have two guinea pigs and they are very sweet pets... the kids love them. They are really friendly and social. I've had rats in the past and they were very intelligent and have tons of personality... the only catch is that they really do not live that long.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• guinea pig is sweet and up during the day. they require some research but were my fave and my kids over hamsters and gerbils. betta fish is easy but no really connection. cats always need homes at the local shelter. small dogs too. i vote for a guinea pig. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'd try a rat, ferret or chinchilla. So cute and very personable and lovable. There are also skinks, snakes, and tegus that can actually be quite loving and do get attached to their people.
    MommyWoes

Answer by MommyWoes at 10:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think a guinea pig would be best or a hamster, I had a guinea pig as a child and I loved him so much. Ferrets are nasty and smelly they would have to clean up alot after them and they still have a smell and some tend to bite.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010