If you go out to eat (sit-down) with your kids do you

limit what they can get (i.e. no fries, no burger, etc)? Just wondered if I'm weird for limiting it to certain healthy options.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No we let them eat what they want. (in moderation LOL) They tend to want to go overboard sometimes LOL!
    courtrexmommas

Answer by courtrexmommas at 1:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• if we go somewhere nice, yes i want them to experience good food lol not a burger
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We usually split our meals with our little ones. It always seems like they give you too much food when you go out to eat. Then if we know we are at a place where the meals will not go as far. We do not give them choices we usually choose.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think you are smart to do so. DS is only 2, so he doesn't get much choice, but we're all about teaching him to make healthy choices, so I can't imagine us letting him get the Mac and cheese with a side of mashed potatoes and cheesy garlic bread, ya know? I think you're doing what's right, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We usually get one kids meal and split it with the two youngest and my oldest daughter gets whatever is on the kid's menu. We eat out once a blue moon so it's a treat for them. The last time we went out was Thursday and that is because of the Applebee's veteran's day meal.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• naw I limit what my kids can eat. Theyre only 1 so i feel like its espessially important. My parents eat fast food SOOO much. the other day we were out and we were all starving and they wanted to go to mcdonalds. So i ordered them happy meals with apples and a cheeseburger without the mean lol. THey acutally flipped the buns, and made a grilled cheese for them!
    i know their cheese isn't the best but its better than their chicken or burgers haha.
    ...then my mom and i drank the sodas that camew ith their meals XD i'm so bad.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I let my grand kids choose..within reason. Often one will order a healthy side, and the other chooses a less healthy side. We split both so the get a little of each. I'm fortunate that my GD loves fish, and broccoli and such. She just discovered parsnips and asparagus and is in love. My GS on the other hand thinks mandarins oranges are dessert..lol. It works. We let them have treats though. In my experience if you focus solely on healthy when they get to the point of making their own choices when you aren't around the go overboard, they feel deprived.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• At regular sit down places they can order whatever they want off the kids menu.  I usually encourage them to get something different (otherwise one always orders pizza, another always gets a burger, etc).  My son has started ordering off the adult menu and I try to get him to try new things.  The only thing we really limit is their drinks.  They get water.  They can only get something else if they have been behaving.

We usually go to buffet places, though.  When there they each have to pick a veggie (at least one, preferably more) and some kind of meat.  They get water for their first glass and then can have something else once they've finished their first plate of food otherwise they fill up on milk.  Eating a burger and fries once a week or whatever isn't going to be detrimental to their health.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My child is only 3 months, however I have had this issue with my sisters children. I would definetly limit what they can have. However...I would tell them they can choose between this, this, or this not just say you cant have that. It avoids tantrums.
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 3:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We rarely go out to eat to a nice place so when we do there are no limits, get what you want and take home what you don't eat
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2010