Should a 9 year old have a NICE cell phone?

My mother in law bought my stepson a cell phone for his 9th bday. I think he is to young and he is not responsable enough for this nice touch screen phone. His phone is way nicer than mine and i think his mother will take it and use it cause she is a drunk. What do i do and am i wrong for thinking this?

Mrs.Norris

Asked by Mrs.Norris at 3:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would make him give the phone back. He doesn't need a cell phone and that nice of a cell phone is too much for him. I don't care if he was the most responsible child in the world. No 9 year old needs a cell phone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't think a 9 year old needsa cell phone period. Its callled parental supervision!
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 6:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well I don't think so. But as long as you are not the one paying for it then I would be okay with it. If it gets lost then so be it. I am sure that his Grandma has thought of that as a possibility. I would just let it go and see how things go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Maybe after he loses it she will think twice next time. I would just keep my mouth shut and wait for it to happen. I see a need for a child to have a cell when they are away alot such as sport or other activites. What is the need for one if they are right next to you.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. While some are, most are not responsible enough for it. Also, did she have to pay for it or was it a free or extremely reduced phone due to upgrading a plan? Many nicer phones are offered for close to nothing just for upgrading or starting a new line. You are VERY right in thinking this though!!
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 3:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I personally don't see the need for any children to have cell phones.. some people say its to keep track of their children but I didn't have one as a child and i didn't turn up missing. At any rate if people insist on getting children phones..I think they should have those cheap ones that only have a few buttons so you can only call like emergency numbers like 911 or parents or other preset numbers. My nieces are 9 and 10 and they both are dying for them.. because to them it is a sign of being grown up and mature.. but they are not grown up and they need to stay young as long as they can. With that all said.. seeing as your the step parent I think you should speak to his father about it and express your concerns and see what he thinks and come up with a solution together...
    Bribry

Answer by Bribry at 4:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I personally don't see a need for a young child to have a cell phone, unless there are special reasons why, but on a day to day basis there is not a need.
    chenbru

Answer by chenbru at 6:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have to say I understand why some people don't think a child this age needs a cell phone. I think that everyone has to do what they think is best for their family. My 13 and 11 year olds have cell phones. My oldest got his because he was going to a charter school and my 11 year old got it because my youngest child was in the hospital for 2 months and my DH had to work. He was going to school and my DH felt he wanted to be able to get in touch with us when ever, I was in a different state. I must say if he was 9 he still would have gotten one.

As far as being to NICE. I agree that do not need something that NICE. I would watch him and see, maybe he will surprise you. It is hard that he has a nicer phone then you although you had nothing to do with it and not agree with it so unless you are going to say something I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Although if you are paying for the phone, that is different
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would forget the nice part...a 9 year old with a cell phone in general is just dumb!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 7:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• A 9 year old should not have any cell phone.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 8:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2010