family pet(vent)

I have a golden retreiver. I don't feel like he is getting the attention he deserves since he became an outside dog. I go out there and play everyday. As all other moms I don't have much time. I put an ad in the paper and someone responded. Any ideas to make this a little bit easier for me? I am the one that feeds and plays with him. The others probably won't even notive for days if I don't tell them. Thank in advance.

arenad

Asked by arenad at 6:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I am sorry this is the way it has worked out. You might want to visit where the dog will live if that is possible. If you know the new situation is nice it will bring you some comfort.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would tell your family they need to spend more time with him, why did he have to become an outside dog? let him in and have family time with him too everyone takes turns caring for him
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 6:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Awwww...that just is sad! :'(
    I'm sorry.
    Maybe you could get a little pet for yourself that's not overly demanding of your time?
    Allow yourself some grieving/loss time.
    And for God's sake let your family know that you are Disappointed in them!
    They didn't help in raising the "family" pet and now You have to let your buddy go.
    That this is a hardship for you...let the mom guilt begin..and with just cause!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think your doing the right thing, it''s not fair to the dog. Make sure who ever gets him is gonna make him an "inside dog" and gives him LOTs of attention! I'm sure youll miss him but knowing he's happier should ease your mind.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Make sure when you dump your poor dog on someone else that you ask lots of questions of the person taking over your responsibility.

Make sure they have vet references, people references, you go and see where the dog will be living and make sure it isn't forced to live it's life outside. Make sure the person will feed it properly, walk it, play with it and they have the money to take care of it.

Make sure you charge a fee for the dog because people value what they pay for. You can donate that fee to your local animal shelter, or even a vet's office and ask them to put it on the account of someone who is on payment plans, or to put it away for someone who doesn't have the money to pay their bill.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I lived in a 1000sqft house with 2 other people 3 dogs and 6 cats. It was crowded to say the least but it was workable. I now live in the basement of my mom's house with my daughter 3 dogs and 4 cats because my husband walked out on me. Sadly, two of our cats passed because they were 15 and 16 and both were sick. Our space is even smaller now but we make it work. Our animals are apart of our family. The dogs get plenty of excersise and know how to behave in the house.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a 1000 sq. ft. house with 5 people. It was just getting to be too much with not enogh room.
    arenad

Comment by arenad (original poster) at 6:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• awww, that is sad....we have 1000sq ft house too with 5 people...and 4 animals...space is limited for sure, but i would be nowhere without my two goldens and cats. But thankfully we all feel the same way...they are the centre of attention here...it's a shame you are the only one. I did have to give up a dog once upon a time...and it was so unfair....we applied for a service dog and the company told us we couldn't have dogs in the home....knowing that a service dog would do our family wonders we found another home for our precious husky...6 months later, we were told that of the 20 families chosen for a service dog, ours did not make the list...so sad. anyway, we now have two goldens that fit that bill nicely and trained ourselves ! When we gave up Willow, it was hard...but it was that much easier when we met the people interested in giving her a new home...she instantly loved her new family....more below
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• ....and what helped me was that I wrote out the dog's story...all her likes, dislikes, her routine, everything ! and I put together a kit with all her toys, food, leash, etc...and maps to her favourite hiking spots....her new family was so appreciative and I just knew they were the right people for her....I still miss her every now and again....but thankfully we have a very full home now with lots of canine lovin' LOL Best of luck to you...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• our house is 1000 sq feet, with 5 ppl and a lab. there is plenty of room for us all. i hate to hear a dog is an outside dog :( but if thats what is best.i think finding the dog a new home is a great start. do you think as an inside dog, he would get more attention fromt eh family? our dog is not lacking attention and she is inside. i dont want to come across as judgemental-sorry if i did. anyway i would say contact a local rescue or place an ad at the vets office or craigslist(but make sure you do a home visit and meet with ppl before you elt him go as i have heard of scammers on CL). have you asked ppl at your local church or maybe the library or pet store will place an ad or know of a family looking). i think you should rehome the dog without fees to get a nice home. GL and give the furbaby extra hugs from me! sorry you are facing a tough situation and thank you for realizing things should change for dogs best interest.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010