Whole milk and constipation..

Before I call the doc I figured I'd see you ladies had any advice. My daughter is 12 months old and I recently switched her over to whole milk. I've noticed she's become very constipated, gassy and a bit fussy since the switch. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her? She was on Similac Sensitive because she had constipation with all other formulas. I fear I may have to put her on rice or soy milk but I'd really like her to beable to drink what her dad and I drink. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Cierra

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 12:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 21 months. He had been breastfed and then went on Enfamil AR due to GERD. At 14 months his dr said to put him on Whole Milk. Pretty much from that point on he had the worst constipation. I took him off it and put him on Soy Milk. He did good on the Soy Milk and I tried the Milk thing again per the dr being upset I did soy milk, this time with 2%. Back to the constipation again. I finally put him back on the Soy Milk and no problems, once again. He's not allergic, I had him tested, he just has a sensitivity to cow's milk and it interferes with his digestive track. I'd give Soy Milk a try. I did the whole doctor thing and they just put him on Rx for the constipation, which I don't agree with.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My older DD was the same way when she switched to whole milk. Her ped. told me to cut back on the amount of milk she drank a day. You may also want to talk to your ped about milk of magnesia if it keeps up.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If milk is bothering her she is not going to get used to it by contining to drink it so I would stop giving it to her. My dr told me that my son didn't need milk as long as he was eating dairy. I think it is 3 servings a day. If you do try a milk sub be cafeful with soy, it can mimic estrogen.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 2:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2008