Can i request to have her tonsils removed?

my DD is 16 years old over the past year shes had tonsilitis 6 times. the drs kept saying they were going to take them out if she got it again but then never did. This time she has it again and has fever blisters all over her mouth, a bad mouth infection from her braces,gums are extremely swollen, her ears hurt, glands are very swollen, and had a fever for about 2 or 3 days. I called the dr he told me to get biotiene and mix 2 tb spoons of it with 1 tb of peroxide. she does that as she needs it and it soothes it for the moment but it doesnt help the infection in her mouth at all. She cant talk really,eat,hardly drink, and if someone makes her laugh she goes through excrutiating pain because it stretches her lips and she gasps for air from crying so hard, also we put anbesol on the outside of her lips. Anyways im thinking this has to do with tonsils so can i request for them to be removed? What would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• request whatever you want, it'll be up to the doctor, though.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• at 16 she may have a vote, as well, depending on the laws there.
    Zoeyis

• I would go to a different doctor and have him look over the medical records. I would ask your daughter if she wants them removed. Its surgery and its not something to just jump into but if she has had this 6xs then maybe its something to consider. my little cousin had it done when he was about 6 and he had a hard time waking up. so that is why surgery is something i am not that fond of. anyways, just talk it over and think about it. i probably would consider the same thing. noone wants their child to be in pain. good luck. and i hope she feels better.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I feel her pain! I had alot of painful earaches several times when i was younger and at 8 or 9, i had them taken out. Only because I always had them in the left ear and had a ruptured ear drum!!! Did'nt have any more earaches after that. I would get a 2nd opinion for sure. Good Luck to you and your daughter
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 9:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• get a second opinion
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• TAKE HER TO AN EAR,NOSE,THROAT DOCTOR!!!!! Her general physician isn't the one to make that determination.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Take her to an ENT for a second opinion. Her tonsils should have been removed already.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010