Help with cat urine!

Our male is spraying and it stinks.Its in our carpet.We just dont have the money now to get him fixed.He means a lot to the kids but I am ready to take him to the humane society.Its so embarrassing-the smell.How can I get rid of the old urine in the carpets?I dont even want anyone in my house.I have tried the vinigar/baking soda and now the room I used it in smells of vinigar.Is there anything I can do???? I cant take it anymore!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pets

• get him fixed

they also have sprays that help:
    1. 'No Odor' they sell at drug stores kills the smell somehow.
    2. they have fake predator (like a fox) urine smell that only they can smell and it deters the cat from waning to pee there.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• go to a local pet store and they have all kinds of solutions. I use Nature's Miracle.
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Look in your area for low cost spay/neuter clinics.  I foster a lot of animals and to save money where I can I get them fixed at one of these clinic (there are now about 5 in my area) Male cats in my area cost between $25 and $35 dollers depending on where I take them. There is one clinic that will even do it for free depending on the circumstances.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Will cost you less to go to low cost neuter clinic and throw out the carpet than it will to buy all the junk to clean the carpet !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Get your cat fixed. When you take on the responsibility of pet ownership that means you need to have the means to take care of it properly. Which translates to.... if you have an animal you're not looking to breed then you should set money aside to have said animal fixed. Try setting money aside in a separate account reserved for you pets only.Things happen, pets have emergencies too.

But for the temporary fix try Nature's miracle. Use a black light to find the urine and clean it. You can also rent a steam cleaner with pet urine solution, because you'll only be cleaning the surface and you need to get down to the pad to get rid of the smell.

Also research low cost neuter clinics in your area, and make an appointment with one.
    MommyWoes

Answer by MommyWoes at 10:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i dont know about all the sprays and stuff to get at pet stores. but i know that when my devil cat pees on our stuff i found that washing it with pinesol really helps. i even use it in the laundry.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yep... There is something you can do... First, test a bit of the carpet to make sure it's colorfast. Then, use bleach on the odor. Bleach is alkaline; urine is acid. They will neutralize each other. However, there will be an ammonia smell to the area you are treating once you pour the bleach on it. ( Make sure there's plenty of ventilation. And, don't let kids or pets near the area while it's being treated ! ) Anyway, you can use straight bleach for really bad smells or bleach water mixed up 4 parts water to 1 part bleach. I find it easier to put the bleach or bleach water in a spray bottle or empty dish liquid bottle. Mop up as much of the urine as you can with paper towels. Then, apply the bleach. Leave it there for a while to allow it to neutralize the urine ( up to an hour or more ). Then, mop it up with more paper towels and dry. You could scrub it with soap and a stiff brush if you want. GOOD LUCK !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 2:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010