how fast did you recover from csection?

I'm planning on csection, how long if your recovery time and what did you do to speed up the process? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was getting along fine from the start. Not too much pain and no problem picking up the baby, nursing, etc. Although my mom was with me for a week. After that I took the stairs slow (to do laundry), etc. I followed my doctor's advise as far as waiting to drive and was totally back to "normal" by 6 weeks. I hope you might have some help for the first week or so. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• what's the advantage or disadvantage when having a csection?
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i recovered pretty fast when i had my c-section. i think by 3 weeks i was back to normal. just take it easy and be really careful and slow when getting up, your body will let you know how slow. i also would walk around ( slowly ) for 15-30 minute stretches a few times a day. i think the faster you start moving the better you heal, its kind of a combo deal.
    blatzpunkgrl

Answer by blatzpunkgrl at 10:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It ook me about 6 weeks to recover.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 10:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• To me the advantages of having a section are to secure the safety and health of the mom and baby. My section was needed after 12 hours of labor and a bunch of problems. I was hoping to deliver naturally. The main disadvantage is that it is major surgery. It's not like a minor elective surgery decision.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Please feel free to join the VBAC support group. There is a lot of information there about C-sections.
    Here are 2 links that will be good to read.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540/forums/read/7226931/Risks_of_C_section_is_words_you_can_understand

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540/forums/read/1463400/C_section_Risks_links_and_studies

I have had 2 c-sections. My first was fairly fast and easy recovery, I had an infection though but the after surgery pain was minimal and I felt pretty much back to normal about 4 weeks after birth. My second one was a lot harder. It took me a long long time to feel "normal" and the pain was just awful.
    I'm sorry you have to have a c-section, but sometimes they are necessary. Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I've had 5 c-sections and each recovery was a little different.  My last one was in July and I was back to my normal self after 2 weeks.  I really didn't have a choice.  We were moving and I had to finish packing.  At 3 1/2 weeks I was helping load the moving containers.

I never had a choice to avoid stairs and things like that.  My room was on the main floor and there was no bathroom.  I either had to go upstairs or down to use the bathroom.  My 4th was the hardest.  I ended up with a uterine infection that left me in pain for 4 months.  The 2nd was the easiest.  I felt perfectly normal at 2 weeks and had almost no pain after the surgery.  I just felt like I had done 1000 sit ups...I was super sore, but not in a lot of pain.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• OP, you asked:  "Anything I should be aware of?  what's the advantage or disadvantage when having a csection?"

This is a very big question and should be researched outside of the Cafemom Answers section (if you aren't already).
    ;-)
    I don't know if you are saying this is elective or not~

Because normal vaginal birth is safer for babies and mothers with healthy pregnancies, avoid unnecessary interventions means avoiding unnecessary risks.
    And the risks with are significant, something to consider if unnecessary.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• about 2 to 3 weeks. slowly at first
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• be aware
    do not take it too fast
    take time in recovery room too

i got spinal headaches (found out after off pain killers for ab surgery)
    the doctor said spinal fluid- slow leak'cases bad bad bad headaches, makes migraine look like day in park

so slow
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010