How do you get your kids to eat veggies without making dinnertime a battle?

Peachy78

Asked by Peachy78 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Our dinner times were battle times for months because my DH insisted the kids eat certain amounts of things. One child cooperated and tried everything, one did not. It was so stressful. If I had to do it over again I would simply serve healthy foods as I did and not push food on kids. They will come around in their own time. If they do not eat at a certain meal they will eat at the next one. The child who resisted now eats all sorts of food, sushi, and so on. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I always make her eat hert veggies first. I tell her that when she eats all her veggies, she can have her mac n cheese, pizza or veggie nuggets...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my 4 year old just knows he cant leave the table till hes had 4 bites of everything... sometimes he wines a bit but enver a huge problem
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't fight. They know it is there choice, BUT if they argue about it or refuse to eat at least some of the veggies, they will spend time in their rooms after dinner.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We sneak a lot of veggies into other foods. My children were off to college before they figured out they were actually eating spinach about 4 times a week. Adding parsnips to mash potatoes - etc. etc. etc. I always made a veggie that someone liked (i.e. my daughter liked peas, my son broccoli then sneak spinach into the stuffed chicken and put chick peas on the salad- 4 veggies one meal!)
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 11:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son is old enough now to express what he does and does not like, so I serve things he likes and he knows he needs to eat them, even if he doesn't "want" to.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I have never had to fight with my son on veggies. It has always been offered. Plus, he is 4 years old...we told the importance of eating healthy and he will even tell what foods are healthy and what is not healthy. Besides, he has no other choice.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's good to start healthy eating habits right away. But I would make it a rule to eat all the veggies first before anything else but all the adults in your home must comply with the same rule. We did this in my home...and setting a good example is a great way for any child to follow. They may not grasp this right away but you have to be very strong and not breakdown...eventually they will follow through.

Also have one healthy item at every meal...fruit...veggies...so that they grow accustom to seeing healthy foods all day.
    MommieeO

Answer by MommieeO at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We've always just given my son veggies and he's eaten them. Have you tried preparing them in different ways? Maybe using things like hummus as a dip?
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I make my child try 1 bite of everything on her plate before she can get down. Sometimes she will like something and is just afraid to try it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010