It seems that my boy can't keep alot of food down. He is pooping like he is supposed to but for the last 3 days, he has been taking about 2 and a half to 3 oz of formula when he used to take 4. Out of the little bit he eats, he spits back up about a handfull or maybe more. Any ideas about what is happening?

disneymommy08

Asked by disneymommy08 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Reflux. My son had GERD and it was horrible. If you are really concerned, then speak with his doctor. Reflux can cause them not to want to eat and when they do, they spit up a lot. Before you go and add rice cereal to the formula, talk to his doctor first. Don't lay him down after a feeding, keep his head elevatated for at least 30 minutes to allow for some digestion. When they gulp down their bottle, chances are they'll spit most of it back up. What I had to do with my son was feed him an ounce or two, then pull the bottle away for a minute and then let him finish. My son was on acid reducers and a special formula, but his GERD was really bad. Good luck!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Spit up looks like a lot more then it actually is- remember its formula mixed with saliva...so it probably looks like he is spitting out a lot more then he actually is. Do a daily count on oz's and call your ped to see if he is in range- he could have been going through a growth spurt and just finished the spurt. My kids have reflux too like the previous poster wrote- but your only mentioning spitting up there are a lot more symptoms to a baby with reflux and GERD is a serious medical condition. It sounds to me like you need to check how much your feeding, how well your burping etc. I don't think its reflux unless he is having other symptoms your not sharing here.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• What other symptoms of reflux are there?
    disneymommy08

Answer by disneymommy08 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2008