Is there such a thing as Laundry etiquette?

My husband says I'm just being embarrassed, but I swear I heard somewhere as a child that with a clothes line all undergarments are to be in the middle lines and hidden by shirts/towels etc..... also that in the laundry mat one must always put the underwear in the bottom of the basket with something heavier on top so that they don't fall out when carrying it home.....
IS this outdated thinking? Or are there unspoken rules to these things?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 11:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• *applause* I do the same, well I don't use clothes lines, but when I prepare to do laundry or fold, undergarments always go on the bottom!!!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I always took it a plain common sense to put the under garments and socks at the bottom of the basket so they get burried and don't fly out. My mom also covered baskets with a towels tucked in so nothing would fall over on the way back from the laundry mat
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• the only laundry rules I know involve the actual washing (like.... pay attention to your washer/drier and move the clothes as soon as they're done so that others can use the machine, or don't throw other people's clothes on the floor).
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 11:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I can see why people wouldnt want their "unmentionables" seen but the only reason we ever covered our stuff with towels (when leaving the laundry mat) was so that our stuff wouldn't get dirty.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When we hung laundry out on the line I woudl hang the underclothes in the middle for that reason. We don't use a laundry mat so I'm not sure on that one, but I do agree on the clothesline issue. I don't think anyone needs to see what kind of underwear I wear and I don't really want to see anyone else's.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's a rule, I think it's just for modesty's sake.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• ahh who cares..lol. people don't like the way you do your laundry or you don't care who sees your undergarments..then screw it :)
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010