How important is the mourning period when you break-up with someone?

I read in a book that in order to truely get over someone you have to go through the mourning period esp if you didn't want the break-up?

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• VERY!!! I married my first husband because I got dumped by a man I was madly in-love with. He broke my heart and ran into the arms of my friend so I didn't have to feel the pain. We ran off & got married and within a month I realized I had screwed up. I got divorced and went back to my ex for a couple months then dumped him. I had finally been able to deal with the pain and now I am fully over it.
    So, yeah, that period is very important in my book.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• it is true but not a rule. You should take time to emotionally get over the person before developing feelings for someone else, because if you don't, then you'll have feelings for two people at once (one person that no longer wants you) and it will cause strain on your current relationship as you're not fully devoted to that person. It is important to get over your feelings for an ex before moving on, but there is no set rule on how long that will take. Generally if the feelings were strong then it will take longer than if it wasn't a serious relationship.

Just make sure that if you're going to begin dating again, you can fully invest ALL of your emotions into it, and none of your emotions are hung up on the past.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 11:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I do believe healing is important, I just don't think there is an exact amount of time needed. When my first love &I broke up many years ago, I was crushed. I didn't date for almost a year. However, when my xh & I split, I was ready to date within weeks. I just had to get over the initial shock. First love & I were togeter a year & a half. XH &I were together 4 years.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• gottalovemal has some good advice. I'd listen to her

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• overlapping never a good idea
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Very important! Rebound romances are actually worse than the one you're trying to mourn. Give yourself time to find you before you go finding someone else.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Very. I need to grieve and get to the point of being ready to move on and try again. I know many people are more comfortable lining up something first or quick rebound relationships but I'm not one of them.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2010