Anyone think its BS we're not allowed to wear candidate merch to the polls?

VA state will not allow you to vote if you wear say an Obama or McCain shirt to the polls... do you feel this is fair?

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 1:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• This is ludacris! Just because I wear a shirt or pin or etc with my candidate on it does not mean that I am suppressing your vote. This is an infringement upon our freedom of speech and right to vote and it should be illegal. I would so love to know if this is a dem or rep issue?
    karebearintx

Answer by karebearintx at 2:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• yes, people have already made up their minds. They should be able to go and vote in peace. Especially in such a heated election, it's possible for people to interfere with someone voting if they were wearing something promoting the candidate they don't want to win.
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    Awesome answer anon12:30
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• FYI If you do wear a shirt to the polls there will be people there to give you a shirt to cover up, or they might ask you to put your shirt on inside out. No one is going to be turned away if they are wearing their parties shirt.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• wow! what happened to freedom of speech?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Can you imagine the fiasco if this was allowed...to much heat in this election and it could turn into a melee! lol
    Anonymous

• I think this IS fair. If people are allowed to wear merchanidise to the polls, then it becomes very easy to get around the "no campaigning within so many feet of the polls" laws. You simply get different voters in that district to loiter in and around the polls wearing your shirts and buttons.

Free Speech is a wonderful thing. Unpressured voting is even better.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How can you be pressured by someones shirt, or button, or bumper sticker? Dont you think by the time (most) people get to the polls, they know who they are going to vote for... I dont think a mural airbrushed on my front lawn would sway my decision tomorrow..

I guess the next time I see someone wearing a college sweatshirt, football jersey etc. I will be coerced into applying to that school, rooting for that team...
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008