Question for the Jewish women

I have read a few things about Jewish beliefs on the afterlife and that there really is no “hell” in the sense of the “Christian hell” is this right? I have also read that Jews believe that only Jews are obligated to follow the laws of the Torah, that non-Jews do not have to, is that correct as well? Does this mean, that according to Jewish belief, that pagans, Christians, Buddhists etc., will all go to heaven too, as long as they were good people? Thank you for helping me understand : ) I look forward to the answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Jewish,but from what I understand that's pretty much correct. From what I understand, hell is a concept not found in typical Jewish beliefs, and the Torah is not generally believed to be meant for gentiles, instead there are seven laws that are applicable to non-Jews, called the Seven Noachide Laws, which include setting up courts of law, prohibiting blaspheme/idolatry/sexual immorality/homicide/robbery, and not eating a limb from a living animal. Apparently, if a gentile were to keep those seven laws he would be considered a "righteous gentile" "who has a portion of the world to come" (from Judaism, edited by Alan Unterman, page 10).

I could be wrong, though, as I'm not actually Jewish, so hopefully someone who is Jewish will offer an explanation, and correct me if I am misinformed. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I'd like to know about this as well.
    .Lovemybabies.

Answer by .Lovemybabies. at 4:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• The old testament is the history of Israel. There is the list of people who begat who. There is a list of health rules to ensure that they would survive. And then there is the 10 commandments. The new testament is the life of Jesus and he only has 2 commandments. The Jewish people are waiting for their Messiah and Heaven will not be open to them until he returns. Even Adam & Eve are held in the first level of Hell though that is not what they call it. I am not Jewish. I have seen only TV shows on the Torah on the History channel. We do however share the same God. But then I think we all do.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010